Yeast strain for bottling lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacKiwi

Regular.
Reaction score
My latest batch of lager has finished lagering (1 month at ~2 degrees) and I'm ready to bottle. My previous batch did not carbonate as well as I'd expect, given the amount of priming sugar I added, and I'm wondering if it was due to most of the yeast dropping out of suspension.

Is it worth adding some dried yeast into the priming bucket when I bottle, as a "bottle priming" strain?

If so, what kind of yeast is recommended, and how much?

i would think no yeast but around 150g/160g of sugar for a 23ltr batch in this heat will carb fine , i had this prob last year but after time it was fine .

I'm inclined to agree, and I think that is what I'll do (just make sure I get a bit of the trub into the bottling bucket so there is some yeast floating around). I still can't work out why my previous batch didn't carb well - I bottle condition on a high shelf in my laundry/boiler-room, where it's a warm 22-23 degrees year around...

honestly i added some extra yeast to mine(held some back from fermentor) and it really didnt need it i dont think and hard to get a nice clear lager now, if the ferment went well and ur prepared to wait 3 weeks till drinking ur lager i wouldnt add any extra yeast

Ok, it's all done and dusted - I didn't add any extra. Fingers crossed it carbs up better than the last one.

Lambert - I have indeed seen the Safbrew F2. But I didn't have any to hand, and I need to bottle. If this one doesn't carb up, it may well be worth trying the F2 next time.

Wilsoa - I'm certainly prepared to wait 3 weeks before drinking! After 3 weeks fermenting and 4 weeks lagering, I can wait a little longer (mainly because I've got lots of wheat beer that's drinking well :D )

Just opened a bottle to check and it is lovely and bubbly! Thanks for the advice...

Back