Yeast taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombers hoppy ending

Reaction score
Quick question. Tried my first pint of my first brew on Friday. It tastes really nice but just has a very subtle yeast flavour on the finish. It is still cloudy.
Info to help.
Pilgrims hope.
Fermented for 3 weeks @ 21C in fermentation fridge
Racked into a bottling bucket with priming sugar.
Bottles had 2 weeks in the fermentation fridge @18C To condition. Then a couple went into the fridge to chill while the rest went into a crate.
After 1 week chilling removed from fridge and allowed to warm up.
Carbonation appears excellent. Good pop on uncapping but no excursion from bottle. The head was better than I get on commercial ales. Very stable and remained 1 finger thick all the way to the bottom of the glass.
So other than the slight yeasty finish, very impressed.
Will the yeasty flavour diminish with age as the beer clears?

I was very careful pouring and there seems to be very little sediment in the bottle. Still cloudy though, which I suspect is the source of the flavour as there is still a small amount of yeast in suspension. Just wanted to confirm it would diminish.

Assuming the same kit, I have had a couple of Festival Pilgrims Hope this week. Bottled 9/2.

They were perfectly clear. Hops still a little lively for me but expect another couple of months will sort that out.

10 to 14 days in fv, batch primed, bottled and in the hall for as long as needed. No where else to put them but generally 15-18C year round.

Think the wife has one of those fridge things for keeping food in good condition. 😊

Just had a second. Still not clear but less yeasty.
just nice to know it’s a flavour that will go as the beer clears. Just had a friend say they’ve had worse beer served in a pub.
mill take that for my first go.

I have never had a cloudy beer after a month or more in the bottle. It would just be a guess but I think that yours were possibly chilled too soon and hadn't completely finished priming. During the warming up process maybe something restarted?

Joking apart, why did you put them in the fridge so soon?

Just following the guidance 2+2+2. Albeit it had 3 weeks in the FV. So 3+2+2. After 2 weeks in the warm the 10 plastic bottles I filled were well carbonated, very firm. So removed them and crated them. Wanted to try a couple this weekend so put 4 in the fridge to chill them down. So 1 week in the cold after 2weeks in the warm.

I go by 10-14 days fv temp roughly controlled + weeks/months in the bottle temp less controlled.

If they were still cloudy in the bottle after 2 weeks, probably expecting too much for chilling to solve the time problem.

But hey, first brew, exciting and you sound impressed so congrats. Onwards and upwards as they say.

I’m currently trying to get some stock in the pipeline so I can start reducing the commercial beer I’m buying.
Really pleased with the temp control so far. I can keep FV temp to within 0.3C.
Bottling the Cwtch today/tomorrow then have a MJ juicy ipa to do on Wednesday.

I’m currently trying to get some stock in the pipeline so I can start reducing the commercial beer I’m buying.
Really pleased with the temp control so far. I can keep FV temp to within 0.3C.
Bottling the Cwtch today/tomorrow then have a MJ juicy ipa to do on Wednesday.
Don’t forget that when you put beers in the fridge to cool them , you can get a chill haze sometimes,even if there clear when you put them in

Latest posts

Back