Yet another imperial stout thread...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamaman

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm planning on using a Coopers stout kit as a base for a RIS (*), adding a partial mash to boost the gravity and add some character.

Coopers reckon their stout is 710 IBU undiluted, and loses 20% bitterness in fermentation, so I reckon if I brew short to 11L I should get 710x1.7/11 * 80% = 88 IBU, which is within the BJCP guidelines for a RIS.
For the partial mash, I was going to use 500g Maris otter and 200g oats. I also plan to steep 200g chocolate malt, but thought I would cold steep rather than mash this to avoid adding extra bitterness?

Do I need to boil the mash runoff if I'm not adding any hops to it? I assume I do to sterilise it and get a hot break?

I was also going to add some DME (500g) - probably light as dark would add more bitterness.

That should take me to about 7.5%.

Any suggestions? I've got some molasses and dark brown sugar ( I'll use the latter for bottle priming), but am cautious of throwing the kitchen sink at it and ending up with a mess that won't condition (if at all) until next summer!

(*) bordering on Russian stout. A Belarusian Stout? Not sure IBS will catch on...

Latest posts

Back