youngs american IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny1979

Reaction score
hi there folks, after a bit of noob advice. got to 18 days fermentation with this kit, had one very hot day 1 day after the brew day and crazy bubbling ensued! been pretty slow since but kept at 20-22oC and seems happy enough. SG got to 1.010 at day 18 and activity was marginal. as per instructions i added the hops a couple of days ago and now at 1.009. seem to be getting a bit more gas than i expected. worried it will spoil the finish but maybe that is expected when you add the hops?

I believe that adding the hops provides a surface for some of the dissolved CO2 to transition to gas and thus escape - this may be what you are observing. You're checking the gravity, which is good, as airlock activity does not reliably indicate rate of fermentation. Sounds like it's going well to me.

Thanks @AnimatedGIF. that would explain the extra gas. I will keep checking the gravity and plan to bottle when I get a constant 1.008 for a couple of days. It’s already looking and tasting good so that’s a good sign!

Hi Benny, I can't help you or anything, I just wanted to say that I am also brewing the youngs American IPA and also have a a 1.010 reading on day 18 and just put my hops in. Sounds like we are working in parallel :laugh8:

It will be good to know how it turns out. My only issue is I'm going on holiday on Sunday and not sure if it will have fermented in time!

Hi Benny, I can't help you or anything, I just wanted to say that I am also brewing the youngs American IPA and also have a a 1.010 reading on day 18 and just put my hops in. Sounds like we are working in parallel :laugh8:

It will be good to know how it turns out. My only issue is I'm going on holiday on Sunday and not sure if it will have fermented in time!
Hi @OliverT i am now on day 26 and down to 1.009 for last 2 days. Hoping to bottle up on Saturday. I was at 1.010 for about 6 days. Might have made a mistake on my timeline in previous post. you thinking of bottling before you go? eeeek!

Hi @OliverT i am now on day 26 and down to 1.009 for last 2 days. Hoping to bottle up on Saturday. I was at 1.010 for about 6 days. Might have made a mistake on my timeline in previous post. you thinking of bottling before you go? eeeek!
Added my hops at day 24. Was at 1.010 from day 18 to 24!

I can't see it doing any harm leaving it in the FV for another week or two, if it's somewhere clean, dark and cool.

Added my hops at day 24. Was at 1.010 from day 18 to 24!

Oh Crikey, Im probably stuffed in terms of bottling before I go then. I did buy a heat belt about 10 days ago because I was worried it was too cold in the evenings, keeping it between 22-23, should that speed up fermentation?

Hey I’ve also just bottled my Young’s APA yesterday , where are you ? Mine was done in 6-7 days it’s been a constant 23 degrees at home , recently I’ve started rehydrating the yeast before pitching and filtering the water before brewing this speeds things up and I’ve been getting much better results . Re the hops they will sink to the bottom in time , stick a hop bag over your syphon and they will all stay in the primary

Hey I’ve also just bottled my Young’s APA yesterday , where are you ? Mine was done in 6-7 days it’s been a constant 23 degrees at home , recently I’ve started rehydrating the yeast before pitching and filtering the water before brewing this speeds things up and I’ve been getting much better results . Re the hops they will sink to the bottom in time , stick a hop bag over your syphon and they will all stay in the primary
Sometimes speed is not of the essence in brewing. It may be better, for some beers, to ferment them cooler rather than at 23*C or even higher, unless you have a yeast that copes with higher temperatures. And lower usually means longer. Some homebrewers without cooling capability, including me, avoid brewing in hot weather. And although it may have finished in a short time its best to let it rest for a few days longer for the yeast to clean up. I have recently had two beers finish in two days which is a record for me but I've still left them in the FV for well over a week. Finally what is a day or three in the overall scheme of a brewing cycle when you may have to leave your beer several weeks before it conditions to its best.

Can I ask what your final SG was? Good tip about the hop bag, cheers.

Latest posts

Back