Youngs lager in plastic bottles.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergmeister

Reaction score
Hello all, I have just brewed and bottled my first brew (Youngs lager kit) into 2 litre plastic bottles and after 2 days the bottles seem to be getting pretty solid! I bottled to around 2/3 inches below the lid (just before the bottle starts to curve in towards the neck) and thought that this would be sufficient headroom to ensure that my bottles of brew wouldn't turn into plastic timebombs, although I am meant to be leaving these for at least another 2 weeks before I even think about drinking them. Are they safe like this or should I be releasing some of the gas by slightly opening the lid every few days?

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

What was your Final Gravity and how much priming sugar did you add?

How solid do the bottles feel in comparison to a new bottle of pop?

Currently they are approximately as solid as a fresh bottle of coke. I primed them with a bit too much sugar as I used 4 teaspoons per bottle rather than 1 per pint (which would have been a bit less given that I haven't filled the bottles with 2 litres of lager). With hindsight this probably means I have given them about 1 spoon of sugar too much. Final gravity was 1.003 btw.

Just to let you know it is very rare for a plastic pop bottle to explode etc
as they are plastic the usually just expand...If they were glass it would be a different story.
I used a little to much sugar in my first ever batch when bottling and none exploded
just hard bottles and when it comes to opening then i have to open slightly to let it vent out otherwise they foam all over the place.

I would say there is far more gas in a cola bottle...and when you drop them they don't explode so i would say your fine.

Just don't open one with your teeth.... ;)

Ah goodo, that's just what I wanted to hear! It worried me when I realised I had primed with too much sugar, and the main concern is the thought of having to inform the other half that there is lager up the wall and on the ceiling lol.

Latest posts

Back