Youngs Mocha Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andybiker

Reaction score
Afternoon chaps,

Last weekend i started the above.

Pitched around 22 degrees and after about 2 days there seems to be very little airlock activity. there was an initial krausen that has now settled.

Everything was sterilised with chemsan only potential issue i can see is that i had a leak from my FV tap, so had to quickly Chemsan another FV and tip into there.

Could that have caused issues.

It was transferred into another FV after only a few hours before i noticed the leak.

Is this usual for the Youngs Mocha?

Thanks in advance guys.

Thanks gents.

Checked the gravity today and it's around 1018.
It has taken a week to get to this but really hasnt been much airlock activity.

Shall I just leave for a few more days and check again?

Cheers chaps.

Will probably go and get some brewing sugar from my lhbs prior to bottling/barreling at the weekend (although I have some light dme) very tempted to give pb2 another chance with a youngs mocha porter or oak rum ale...

Hi chaps.

4 days on and it seems to have dropped to 1016 now, but that's really not that much.

Is it worth adding a bit more sugar and or yeast and if so what would you recommend?

Or should I just cold crash, transfer to priming vessel and bottle?

Thanks.

Hi chaps.

4 days on and it seems to have dropped to 1016 now, but that's really not that much.

Is it worth adding a bit more sugar and or yeast and if so what would you recommend?

Or should I just cold crash, transfer to priming vessel and bottle?

Thanks.
Assuming you followed the instructions about brew volumes and total sugars added what do they indicate is the target FG?
And looking at the details of this kit, it claims to be potentially 5.8%ABV. What was in the kit, 3kg LME plus priming sugar?

The kit has 3kg wort and recommends 1010 for the FG.

I added all the brewing sugar that came with the kit, topped up and added yeast at 22 degrees.

FWIW I have never had success with adding more yeast. Never tried adding more sugar. Adding sugar will increase the gravity and thin the beer. It will also impart no flavour unless it is brown sugar. I would advise against both practices at this stage. 1.016 is close enough, for me. And it might drop a point or two after packaging.

The kit has 3kg wort and recommends 1010 for the FG.

I added all the brewing sugar that came with the kit, topped up and added yeast at 22 degrees.
I agree with @phildo79 . Its probably done. And if you added the priming sugar that comes with the kit as well as the LME that will tend to increase the FG very slightly. I would go ahead and bottle it, but use one PET bottle to monitor the carbonation, because although as you get further down from 1.020 there is a decreasing chance you will get a fermentation going again, it is still possible.

Thanks guys.

I didn't use the priming sugar that came with the kit.
I intend to batch prime in another FV.

Do I cold crash the current FV for a couple of days, transfer to priming vessel with priming sugar then bottle straight away?

Leave bottles warm for 2 weeks then 2 weeks cold?

Thanks and apologies for being such a newb.

Thanks guys.

I didn't use the priming sugar that came with the kit.
I intend to batch prime in another FV.

Do I cold crash the current FV for a couple of days, transfer to priming vessel with priming sugar then bottle straight away?

Leave bottles warm for 2 weeks then 2 weeks cold?
Yes all of that.
However your porter might benefit from a longer conditioning period than two weeks. By all means have a taster but I would be tempted to leave it at least a 4/6 weeks before you get stuck in. Darker stronger beers seem to take longer to come good. And if I recall correctly, someone stated on here the other day, one week for every 10 points of OG or four weeks minimum.

Back