Your Local Seaside Town????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid, my dad used to get me and my brother up early and take us to Fraisethorpe, near Bridlington.
Nothing there really; just a place to park...a picnic lunch with a 'pump-pot' full of hot water and little tubs of coffee, milk and sugar. Play on the beach and go for walks along the cliffs.

Me and the missis have been taking holidays at Humberston Fitties for the past 6 or 7 years....shacks/cotteges/bungalows just yards from Humber estuary and a good beach for walking the dogs.
There is also a little brew pub just up the road in Cleethorpes that does a couple of great house beers.....forget the name of just now.
Cleethorpes is a bit dated to be honest.....looks a bit tired and old.

The Fitties is a very interesting place though.....lots of kite surfers, buggys and windsurfers.

I took the kids to Cleethorpes a couple of years ago. I grew up in that area and expected that it must have improved since I last visited when I was a kid 25 years earlier.

Your right in saying how tired the place looked. The main Prom is a shadow of its former self. Wonderland at the end was great when we were kids. Now no longer there along with great venues such as the Winter Gardens and the Zoo.

The only place that hadn't changed was the public bogs opposite the pier, a filthy stinking hovel that attracts the local 'dodgy' characters.

Its sad to say that I won't be going back to 'Meggies' again.

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Grasshopper said:
Live in Warwickshire so no coast locally ( skeggy is prob the nearest ) , but off up to Blackpool for the Bank holiday weekend :thumb:
Skeggy's gone downhill in the last 10 years, last time I went was a couple of years ago.

When I were a lad we used to drive from Sleaford to Skeg of a Saturday evening in the summer and sleepin the car, for the miss wet t-shirt competitions, I never won :rofl:

if you dont count cornwall
i live between 2 of the best beaches in england
woolacombe and weymouth

Just come back from somerset and had a great day on the beach at Woolacombe.

:cheers:

As a kid we always went to Bridlington. I now live 45 miles away from Bridlington and I would say that is the place we are most likely to go for a day trip..especially for the Fish n Chips!!! However, I went to Cleethorpes a few months ago and found a great Pub on the Railway station..!! :lol: Anyone else been there :whistle:

Noosa 45 min drive, Rainbow Beach 50 min drive. Not so many rubbernecks in Rainbow, quiet but beautiful, plus the pub pours from a wooden keg on the bar for happy hour Sat 5 - 6pm. Great after a day on the beach or fishing.

Screwy

rainbow-beach_004818.jpg
RBH.jpg

rainbow-beach_032001.jpg

fermentall said:
Woolacombe is in North Devon :shock:

I grew up in Bideford & Westward Ho! Spent many a happy day surfing at woolacombe.
:D

legionbob said:
Cussword said:
Takes me 10 minutes to walk to the promenade, so we generally drive up to the Lake district.
I can never get into the Lakes due to all the tourists, so I head to blackpool!!

We live a couple of hundred yards up the hill from Sandside in the village of Storth, we're on the southern edge of the Lake District, so being Bank Holiday weekend we're stuck here :whistle:

308zlz7.jpg

10f5hr6.jpg

fortunately we rather like it here and think we're rather lucky :thumb: The roads around us yesterday were even more chokka (Cartmel Races) but as usual on BH weekends, we didn't stray far :roll:

Baz Chaz said:
legionbob said:
Cussword said:
Takes me 10 minutes to walk to the promenade, so we generally drive up to the Lake district.
I can never get into the Lakes due to all the tourists, so I head to blackpool!!

We live a couple of hundred yards up the hill from Sandside in the village of Storth, we're on the southern edge of the Lake District, so being Bank Holiday weekend we're stuck here :whistle:

308zlz7.jpg

10f5hr6.jpg

fortunately we rather like it here and think we're rather lucky :thumb: The roads around us yesterday were even more chokka (Cartmel Races) but as usual on BH weekends, we didn't stray far :roll:

Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fermentall said:
Woolacombe is in North Devon :shock:

I know but i had my passport with me and I was allowed through :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stayed at porlock so it wasn't to far.

:cheers:

AG

When I was a kid, my dad used to get me and my brother up early and take us to Fraisethorpe, near Bridlington.
Nothing there really; just a place to park...a picnic lunch with a 'pump-pot' full of hot water and little tubs of coffee, milk and sugar. Play on the beach and go for walks along the cliffs

its a nudist beah now pal, a couple of years ago i was running along cliff tops from skipsea to brid when i noticed what looked like a beached whale then another one popped out from behind one of those sea defences ,believe me it wernt a pretty sight the bloke had got bigger **** than his missus :shock:

Skeggy 30 miles wish it was further

Drinking Woodfords wherry
conditioning Admirals reserve

Baz Chaz said:
legionbob said:
Cussword said:

308zlz7.jpg

10f5hr6.jpg

That is such a shame for you :x You can go off people you know ;)

I live just 16 miles from Ayr. The only time I see the sea around Ayr these days is when I take a flight from Prestwick to warmer places.

Live in redcar but Whitby is the place for me :D like to walk there from here and quench my thirst when i get there plenty of real ale :drink: :drink: :drink:

Cussword said:
...........That is such a shame for you :x You can go off people you know ;)

It does have it's downsides :wha:

if I can think of any I'll let you know ;)

oh aye, the road floods on a high tide, I've seen it up to the top of the seat on the right of the picture and the railings completely submerged :!:

io0t3q.jpg

It can be entertaining watching folk trying to negotiate the road/tide on a 'biggie' :!:

Latest posts

Back