Your views on how the Tories have handled Coronavirus.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there has been an element of make up and fix as you go along. When closing pubs & restaurants surely that was going to result in more food shopping at supermarkets at a time when access to supermarkets is being throttled. No surprise there! allowing drivers to do longer hours could have been sorted sooner. But in a crisis these things are bound to happen I suppose. I do wonder that with the social distancing measures the govt have factored in the large proportion of numpies in the population. ( I just hope they have)

I think the problem is how (ill) prepared we were and that's all on the Conservatives seeing as they've been in power for 10 years.

If they had known it was coming i would agree but they didn't, if they has stockpiled millions of pounds worth of PPE just in case we had a pandemic in the future they would have been slaughtered by the same people doing it now because they didn't.

If they had known it was coming i would agree but they didn't, if they has stockpiled millions of pounds worth of PPE just in case we had a pandemic in the future they would have been slaughtered by the same people doing it now because they didn't.

But they did know because of SAR, MERS bird flu etc. All the epidemiologists told them a pandemic of this nature was coming (of course noone could predict EXACTLY when). In 2016 we 'wargamed' a pandemic, Exercise Cygnus, and we failed. The report on how badly we failed has never been released because it was so shocking how badly we were prepared

But didn't the WHO single out the UK particularly for being especially unready for any kind of pandemic. I think even those countries who were much better prepared found they didn't have enough. What surprises me is how long it has taken to start getting the basic stuff we need. I would have thought clothing manufacturers and certain factories could have been commandeered and made to make the stuff almost overnight. Masks, for example. There are patterns for these online- they may not be BS surgical quality, but surely better than nothing. Why can't a few sweat shops have knocked out several million at short order? etc. etc. There doesn't seem to be the will.

of course noone could predict EXACTLY when

This is my point would labour have bought millions of pounds of PPE to mothball just in case a pandemic hit the answer is of course no so they would have been in exactly the same position as this lot are now, Trump has ordered his lot to buy all PPE they can get his hands on, so much for our special relationship.

This is my point would labour have bought millions of pounds of PPE to mothball just in case a pandemic hit the answer is of course no so they would have been in exactly the same position as this lot are now, Trump has ordered his lot to buy all PPE they can get his hands on, so much for our special relationship.

Your right I dont think we could stock pile mountains of PPE for years, but if we had a competent government and based on our failing Excersise cygnus we would had some sort of plan that could have swung into action. We had plenty of warning, we could see what was happening in China and Italy and swung such plan into action (had we had one). I get the impression they were hoping that a pandemic wouldnt be along for a while (in much the same way most governments around the world seem to be putting off doing anything about the forthcoming climate crisis)

Amercia had the best pandemic response system in the world, the centre for disease control (CDC) but trump being the numpty he is threw is all away and 'disbanded' it

the forthcoming climate crisis
I don't think there's anything "forthcoming" about it, I reckon it's here. It's the beginning of April and it's already too hot to do the gardening or brew beer outside after lunch. It's been like that for nearly a week. We're about as far south from Poole as Poole is south of Manchester, so we're not in the tropics! Lager brewing is now just a happy memory. I'll soon be breaking out the Kweik if this continues.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything "forthcoming" about it, I reckon it's here. It's the beginning of April and it's already too hot to do the gardening or brew beer outside after lunch

Summer seems to come a lot earlier in the year than it used to back in the day and then fizzles out by the middle of the year or is that my imagination.

Summer seems to come a lot earlier in the year than it used to back in the day and then fizzles out by the middle of the year or is that my imagination.

I think your right, summer comes a lot earlier. I've noticed that if we get a sunny start of the summer we get a really hot one but if we get a wet start to the summer the rest of the summer is wet too

I think your right, summer comes a lot earlier. I've noticed that if we get a sunny start of the summer we get a really hot one but if we get a wet start to the summer the rest of the summer is wet too
The thing is, it's not a start to the summer, we're only three weeks into spring.
I knew I should have brewed more beer to cope with the thirst that all this is going to bring on. :cool:

They did know it was coming, they knew since the beginning of January and didnt take it seriously. Then they went with the ludicrous herd immunity idea, which the imperial college reports had we all followed this show it would have resulted in deaths of around 90 million worldwide. It's not about stockpiling ppe just in case, it's a case of they left everything too late and are still not really doing enough in order to combat this properly. The responsibility for the thousands of deaths lies squarely with the government, ten years of underfunding of the NHS and then when a pandemic comes along they value the lines of production over the lives of the people they are supposed to serve. We could have been like New Zealand, instant lockdown stop the virus in its tracks by removing its means of reproducing which so far has resulted in just 4 deaths, upscale to the size of the UK it would have meant 50 or so deaths, we just had nearly an thousand die today

10k dead a national disgrace the Tories should be held to account for this genocide but they won’t be. Boris the brave will be knighted.

10k dead a national disgrace the Tories should be held to account for this genocide

"National disgrace" the USA and Italy have lost nearly 20,000 each so far and their daily new cases are not much behind us.

Genocide really, i think some here need to get a grip.

Genocide
  1. the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.
    "a campaign of genocide"

USA and Italy have lost nearly 20,000 each so far and their daily new cases are not much behind us.
Italy are at least two weeks ahead of us in this, they should have had their peak already, we haven't hit peak and already our numbers on comparitive days are higher. US is bigger than we are so will see much bigger numbers in the next few weeks

Nearly 10,000 dead in UK a national tragedy and a disgrace.
I want to hear from UK government why our figures aren't as low as Germany's. No ifs, no buts. There is absolutely no excuse for the level of deaths we're seeing. On the same trajectory as Italy. C'mon, Britain should be doing better than that at tackling the virus and looking after our people. Especially since we're an island nation and supposedly better placed to control our borders.

It's not the borders that are the problem, it is guidance and leadership from the very top that sets the tone for how the nation responds.

I want to hear from UK government why our figures aren't as low as Germany's. No ifs, no buts. There is absolutely no excuse for the level of deaths we're seeing. On the same trajectory as Italy. C'mon, Britain should be doing better than that at tackling the virus and looking after our people. Especially since we're an island nation and supposedly better placed to control our borders.

It's not the borders that are the problem, it is guidance and leadership from the very top that sets the tone for how the nation responds.
being an island national you'd think we had a chance , however I know of plenty of people coming back on flights from abroad and all there was was a POSTER about symptoms when they arrived, no checks or other measures. ashock1

Last edited:
Back