Alco~Coke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gervin do a high tolerance wine yeast that purportedly will go to at least 20%, if anybody fancies trying that in any of the above mad ideas.
I've got some of it for my current experimental brews:
A mixed berry mead I want to get as strong as poss: currently has had enough sugars from fruit and honey to reach 19 or 20, and the standard yeast still going, dunno how much of the sugar is still sugar though. Plan is to check with the hydrometer when the standard yeast gives up and use the high yeast if there's still sugar left.
A coffee wine that I'm hoping to make into a half strength Tia Maria sort of thing. Standard yeast still going, but about 1/2lb of sugar short of 20% anyway, so some work to do there.

Wow I can't wait to try this! Argos online are selling two bottles for £7, free delivery.

Someone mentioned kool-aid, I think it's pretty much the same thing, in powdered form - it's made from artificial sweeters, colours and flavours, so easily mixed with a fermented sugar water!

Has anyone tried the "tonic" flavour sodastream syrup? Is that gonna be like an alcoholic "red-bull"? sounds stomach-rippingly awful! But a possible Buckfast alternative...!

ETA just checked and kool-aid has no sweeteners, so you'll need to add some splenda or something at the end.

Bought some of this last week, and hope to get a test batch started this week, if I can stick in a spare cornie and carb up, even better.

My koolaid experiment fermented out, I racked it and have left it now for several months in the demijohn, it was not great at all when I racked it, with any luck a few months conditioning will have sorted that out, may try that this week and see what its like now.

Gayle said:
Has anyone tried the "tonic" flavour sodastream syrup? Is that gonna be like an alcoholic "red-bull"? sounds stomach-rippingly awful! But a possible Buckfast alternative...!
The tonic syrup makes tonic water to mix with your gin. for an alcoholic Red Bull type drink you'll want the Xstream flavour or the Sugar Free Xstream

Just pondering... cold you use non-diet concentrate instead of priming sugar?

I can only get diet coke concentrate (France is so prehistoric at times :roll: ) but lots of lovely flavours with the full sugar version.

Duncs said:
Gayle said:
The tonic syrup makes tonic water to mix with your gin. for an alcoholic Red Bull type drink you'll want the Xstream flavour or the Sugar Free Xstream

Thank you, I'll keep those in mind but I think I'll just leave it for now, alcoholic red bull just sounds :sick: Gonna try the Kool-aid when it stops fermenting. I take it I will have to add fake sweetener then?

hi , if it was at 1070 and now after 2 weeks has dropped to 1050 then it is no where near done yet , i would think anywhere from 1010 to as low as 990 so a long way to go yet , give your brew a good stir (no splashing) add some more yeast nutrient and get the fermentation temp up a little (at least 20c ) and add some more yeast if you have it , there are calculators on the top left hand of this page , click on it and you can find out your av % :cheers:

I have just finished making this and it fermented for 25 days and cleared fine but was only 5%. I didn't add the extra water I just added the coke and priming sugar and then bottled as I thought it would be too weak if watered down. I tried it tonight and it's flat and also I had to water it down as the taste was too harsh I am now wanting to try again but does anyone know where I went wrong to only get 5% so that I can change it next time. Thanks

I got mine bottled the other day, diluted it to 7 litres and I thinnk it ended up around 5%. I added one packet of Kool-Aid to just under 2 litres of alcowater, along with 3/4 cup sweetner, and some sugar to prime the bottles.

BIL came round when I was bottling and taste-tested the different flavours. He was quite ill the next morning after drinking nearly a litre of it, was very tasty though and stupidly easily drunk, just like lemonade.

Success! :drunk:

You can boost the alc % by adding more sugar in solution when its slowed down fermenting - just kepp adding more until it gives up - i got mine to around 14.9% then diluted it and bottled.
It also took ages to carb up but when it did i got 3 bottles exploded so fridged it and its spot on now loads of carbonation and i add flavours as and when i crack one - using diet coke, lemon and lime and dandilion and burdock soda stream flavours.

Yes course you can using brewing sugar but remmeber 200g white sugar will fermet to a different percanage that brewing sugar (normaly dextrose)
and u can prime with brewing sugar but again u will have to adjust ur amounts but nothing a little googling cant fix!

Brewing sugar will give u a better tasting brew but you will find with this that it will make little difference, Ive tried both and cant really tell unless ur drinking the sugar water striahgt ;)

Well at long last I made a start on the alco coke, added 800g granulated sugar to almost a full demijohn of water. I didn't have a spare hydrometer on me at the time, so could not take a reading.

How do you actually work out what sort of percentage you should end up with, is there a way to guesstimate this given I have not taken any readings? I have seen a couple of posts where other forum members seem to know the exact sugar content of various fruits and how different sugars ferment, is this voodoo or is there a formular for this?

On the kool aid front, I still have not tried this again since I first made it. I probably should see if a few months conditioning has improved it at all.

Looking forward to this coke if it all works out, I may see if I can make a cherry coke version of it too.

oldbloke said:
Gervin do a high tolerance wine yeast that purportedly will go to at least 20%, if anybody fancies trying that in any of the above mad ideas.

ive just used this with the alcocoke recipe, sg at 1.055 so should hopefully kick off soon

mines going crazy :) i doubled all the ingredients so i should have 19L at the end :), i used brewing sugar and gervin high alcohol yeaset and will use the full 500ml syrup at the end

How long has this taken for most peeps?

Mine was started on 29/8/12 at an OG of 1.080.
Followed original recipe but placed on heat mat to try and maintain steady temperature.

As of 21/09/12 I was still at 1.018....thought it might have been there by now. Still fairly cloudy, some sediment etc. but happily bubbling away at about 2 burps a minute?
Has anyone else had a really long ferment?
Thanks
Ben

Just drinking my first alco coke, I decided to just poor the water in a soda stream bottle and gas it. Managed to stop it from going everywhere by opening it slow, taste pretty good :)

Awesome recipe,

I have lots of left over glass Diet Coke bottles, hopefully should be able to pick this up and make it.

Just need a capper now!

Latest posts

Back