Alco~Coke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rob. I didnt think i would be so concerned about home brew as i am lol. I need a beer just to calm myself :shock:

I fridged my whole batch back in july as i was getting bottle bombs.
Have to say after testing one the other day it is absolutely superb, i added about half a cap full of dandilion and burdock soda stream concentrate to the glass and the result was wicked.
First time i tried it the drink went flat straight away but after fully carbing and cooling it kept its fizz brilliantly.

Well fermentation on my 1st batch seems to have picked up. A bubble in the air lock ever 3 or 4 seconds. On day 3 now. Watching that bubble is far better than anything on TV lol

So im on day 19 and the alco water is still fermenting. Still getting a bubble in the airlock around every 4 or 5 seconds and i can see tiny bubbles fizzing away. It has started to clear but still rather misty.

Been stored at a temp of 19 the whole time.

So just wondering what i should do from here. Do i leave it until im getting no bubbles and it cleared or do i add a campden to kill off the yeast and go to the next stage?

Your cold temperatures arnt helping with the speed of it, can u move it somewhere warmer or maybe wrap it up with a blanket or put it in a box of sheredded newspaper?

If you have used white sugar it will take longer to clear but it will do
Like it had been said before fermenting this much sugar does take a bit longer than normal

A teaspoon of gelatine will help clear it, it works like finnings and drags the yeast to the bottom of the dj, if u then rack into a fresh dj it should speed things along.

second2none said:
Your cold temperatures arnt helping with the speed of it, can u move it somewhere warmer or maybe wrap it up with a blanket or put it in a box of sheredded newspaper?

If you have used white sugar it will take longer to clear but it will do
Like it had been said before fermenting this much sugar does take a bit longer than normal

A teaspoon of gelatine will help clear it, it works like finnings and drags the yeast to the bottom of the dj, if u then rack into a fresh dj it should speed things along.
I have a box of Kwick Clear left over from my wine making..could i use this?

In my experience it should clear on its own after it finished fermenting when the gas bubbles stop lifting the sediment... fins work but shouldn't be used till bubbling stops, I used it to a nice extent when I first started doing this white white sugar :)

Well gents im pleased to report that after just short of 4 weeks it has finally stopped fermenting and has just been bottled.... hopefully by new years ill be having my first swig of the stuff!!!

Well I followed the instructions posted, and bottled this about 2 weeks ago (having forgot about the demijohn of sugar water for probably close to a year) just cracked one open to see if it had carbonated so I can move them somewhere cold.

Fizzy like a coke, taste wise, quite similar to coke but you can tell theres something different in there, this could posisbly be because I left the demijohn for such a long time, or maybe this is how it tends to taste, (or it could be because I have a terirbe case of man flu) overall should be interesting to see what people make of it when we have a house party in the summer.

Worth giving a go as its so cheap! if this goes down well, I think next time I will probably stick it in a cornie and force carbonate, and I may use slightly more coke concentrate, but not much more!

Cheers :cheers:

Started mine just over a week ago and it's bubbling away merrily.

Still looks rather 'milky' i take it this will clear as time goes by? :wha:

Its about a week after I like to rack my brew into a clean Dj, the milkines is dead yeast and it gets mixxed throu ur brew from the C02 bubbles,
so once bubbling starts slowing it makes sence to rack it and you will start to see it clear.
But please remember good temps for yeaties are 20-24c and its been very cold resently you might wanna wait a little longer than normal.

If It still hasnt totaly cleared then sometimes I use a teaspoon off gelitin, it helps pull the cloud to the bottom of ur demijohn
but that would only be after a good two weeks maybe even more in this cold

Mines clear but has a rather intense smell...is there any way to reduce this? Degassing maybe? I've got some turbo clear if that's any good...a little reserved on bottling this at the moment due to the smell!

I have a heat belt on mine and it still does not seem to be clearing after a month ,fermentation has slowed right down.Its the colour of lemon juice..

alank950 said:
I have a heat belt on mine and it still does not seem to be clearing after a month ,fermentation has slowed right down.Its the colour of lemon juice..

It may have got infected as it tastes a little yeasty and acidic ,the other one i did cleared nicely..anyone know if this is ok to use or will i chuck it?

Bacterium struggle to take hold in an alcohol solution once fermentation has finished
So I wouldn't have thought this brew could get contaminated easily

What type of sugar did u use? Dextrose (brewing sugar )clears super easy
But if u use white granulated it ends up a little more opaque but nothing some fins won't pull out! The sugar water base does smell acidic if it didn't we would be drinking gallons of it that's why we add te coke to sweeten and add a nice taste, if it was mine I wouldn't worry and as long as fermentation has finished carry on :)

Could It be possible that ur heat belt is creating convection currents moving the dead yeasties in the bottom of your dJ around making it milki?

Nether the less good luck with it

second2none said:
Bacterium struggle to take hold in an alcohol solution once fermentation has finished
So I wouldn't have thought this brew could get contaminated easily

What type of sugar did u use? Dextrose (brewing sugar )clears super easy
But if u use white granulated it ends up a little more opaque but nothing some fins won't pull out! The sugar water base does smell acidic if it didn't we would be drinking gallons of it that's why we add te coke to sweeten and add a nice taste, if it was mine I wouldn't worry and as long as fermentation has finished carry on :)

Could It be possible that ur heat belt is creating convection currents moving the dead yeasties in the bottom of your dJ around making it milki?

Nether the less good luck with it
I had 2 demijons going they were started 3 weeks apart, one has cleared nicely ,i have some kwik clear wine finnings i could use if needed..i used granulated sugar..its still fermenting very slowly one bubble every few minutes..i could bottle this and back sweeten with splenda as i am adding it with root beer soda stream concentrate.am shure it will be ok if i back sweeten..as long as it dosent poison me....lol
I used youngs dried active yeast for both demijohns..the other i am putting into bottles with diet cola syrup tomorrow..

Can u use brewing sugar instead if normal sugar. Mines been on 24 hours and its going slow but is going

I started a demijohn of this off yesterday at around 4 o' clock and it is going like mad now. I timed 53 blurps in a minute and i have a head of froth just under the bung. I am hoping it stays there

Latest posts

Back