Are malt prices starting to drop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some suppliers have offers at the moment: I have just bought a sack of Dingemann's Pilsner malt for £27 from GEB and THBC have 20% off malt offers at the moment. Fuel prices have dropped this month; is it just wishful thinking on my part to wonder if malt prices might be starting to drop?

I think the offers/reductions are to drum up business rather than a reflection of prices coming down. I may be wrong but we are not out of the woods yet. The rate of increases may be slowing but they are still going up. Suppliers eating into their profits. I may be wrong.

I think Klaus is right the big 2 that a lot of us use i.e THBC and Geterbrewed have seen most of us especially forum members search high and low for cheaper sacks of base malts and with that they have probably lost ancillary add on sales etc. I think it is postage that is the killer.
I have found my supply of grain @ approx £34 a sack and no postage if you order 2 whereas normally I would have ordered Minch which has gone to the price of other brands.
I will think very carefully before ordering now where as before I would just order without any reservations but now it is a shop around depending on which member has found the latest offer and with Russia saying the grain from Ukraine has been stopped again it may have a knock on effect on world prices maybe

I expect they will stay high. Once the price goes up, it tends to stay up.

Energy prices went up because wholesale fuel prices went up. Wholesale fuel prices have fallen drastically, and energy prices came down a small bit, so are still way higher than a year ago.

Petrol/diesel prices went up because the wholesale price of oil and gas shot up. The wholesale price has since dropped but petrol/diesel remains high.

Grain prices went up because Russia blocked the Ukraine exports. Exports have been following from Ukraine for months, but grain prices stayed high.

The same will be true for malted grain.

Then the homebrew vendors will need to make more profit in order to feed themselves/pay mortgage due to rampant inflation due to the above

It's energy prices that's pushing our malted barley up as it takes heat to convert it. Possibly the price of fertiliser too.
Energy prices push everything up, as most things have to be transported. I'm surprised that postage charges haven't doubled.

It's energy prices that's pushing our malted barley up as it takes heat to convert it. Possibly the price of fertiliser too.
Wholesale gas prices are about 50% higher than what used to be normal. Our energy energy bills are double what they used to be and we're being told they will stay like that until the end of the decade. Electricity prices from solar/wind and oil prices that should be unrelated to gas prices remain high as well. It's like the energy companies went "oh, we can just leave the magic price dial at the high level and people will still have to pay us"

Fuel prices I have see m £1.55 & £1.35 on the same day 😱

I am lucky that I can collect malt, but the charges delivery can be alarming.

Are people who buy per recipe, converting to per sack do you think?

Everyone seems to have forgotten that price of grain is locked in for 12 months. Buyers enter a contract for x amount and a certain cost. Same with hops.

Also Russia blocked the grain exports again so don't expect any reduction any time soon.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that price of grain is locked in for 12 months. Buyers enter a contract for x amount and a certain cost. Same with hops.
There's always an offloading of surplus in ready for the new harvest in both examples though. Price isn't static.

China removing the tariffs on Australian Barley next month, might. Barley prices started going up since it was imposed in May 2020. The new harvest quality and yield will have an impact either way.

Screenshot_20230719-082156-01.jpeg

Buying a years supply at end of season clearance will fix the price for you, if you don't feel prices will drop next year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230719-082156.png
    Screenshot_20230719-082156.png
    81 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back