BeerSwap Feedback

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottle 1J - Simcoe Smash received and tasted. Pours perfectly, tastes awesome with a fruity aftertaste. Thanks for the lovely pint. Left it to settle for a few days before drinking. Tasted great for a beer bottled 10 days ago! Great idea for the beer swap, hope the recipient of mine enjoys as much as I enjoyed this one. Keep up the good work!!!

This evening I tried 1F which had arrived earlier in the week.

This was in a plastic bottle though the brewer apoligised and said the usually only bottles in glass (plastic fine in my book for the swap!)

DSC04572.JPG

DSC04574.JPG

The beer was a lovely dark copper colour with a slight bit of chill haze (i'd probably chilled it a bit too much but had let it come up to temp a bit) On pouring it produced a small but satisfying head with a good level of carbonation in the glass.

Not a huge amount on the nose but a decent malty smell.

Very smooth on the tongue with good bit of carbonation, a nice malty taste but no real hop flavours to speak of.

All in all though a very pleasant and satisfying pint of beer.

Dizzle said:
Bottle 1J - Simcoe Smash received and tasted. Pours perfectly, tastes awesome with a fruity aftertaste. Thanks for the lovely pint. Left it to settle for a few days before drinking. Tasted great for a beer bottled 10 days ago! Great idea for the beer swap, hope the recipient of mine enjoys as much as I enjoyed this one. Keep up the good work!!!

How did you enter the swap if this is your first post? :wha:

qure7u6a.jpg

Review of beer 2B
The beer poured well and had a nice dark amber colour.
After pouring there was a good head which held right to the bottom of the glass and it had the perfect amount of fizz, in my opinion.
There was a strong hoppy aroma which smelled excellent.
The beer tasted strong, both alcohol and flavour wise, with a very bitter finish. However after the first few sips the bitterness seemed to subside a little and left me wanting more.
The beer reminded me slightly of a Nappa Smith Hoppageddon which I had a while ago and incidentally was 9.2% too.
Overall an enjoyable drink if slightly too bitter for my taste but I would certainly have another :-) ( but probably not on a week night)
Thank you

anthonyUK said:
Dizzle said:

How did you enter the swap if this is your first post? :wha:
All the details are sent to a email address, no forum posting required until the review :thumb:

This evening was time to crack open bottle 6F - Cocky Golden Bitter, 4.2%
Rested and chilled for 4 days - sorry but the photo doesn't do the clarity justice as the outside of the glass formed condensation within about 30 secs of pouring this eve!
20130712_220305_zpsfd4f582f.jpg

Deep copper colour and after giving it 5 mins to warm slightly it was time for tasting...
There was a good amount of bitterness which was very refreshing, a modest but resilient head (my glasses don't encourage vigorous heads so not a criticism), gentle aromas, not particularly hoppy, very little sediment in the bottle.
For me it was a refreshing bitter rather than a session beer - definately hit the spot for today's weather!
Thanks to the brewer of 6F - much appreciated :cheers:

RHB

JimmyB78 said:
This evening I tried 1F which had arrived earlier in the week.

This was in a plastic bottle though the brewer apoligised and said the usually only bottles in glass (plastic fine in my book for the swap!)

The beer was a lovely dark copper colour with a slight bit of chill haze (i'd probably chilled it a bit too much but had let it come up to temp a bit) On pouring it produced a small but satisfying head with a good level of carbonation in the glass.

Not a huge amount on the nose but a decent malty smell.

Very smooth on the tongue with good bit of carbonation, a nice malty taste but no real hop flavours to speak of.

All in all though a very pleasant and satisfying pint of beer.

Thanks for the kind review Jimmy - I'm in my first year of brewing (using kits) and looking how to improve things so all feedback is useful!
It was a Wherry with a little beer enhancer dry hopped with goldings - It was a bit of a rush to get a plastic bottle ready for the beerswap so only had 2.5 weeks in the bottle - I'm hoping the flavours improve with age.

:cheers:

Msdean said:
Review of beer 2B
The beer poured well and had a nice dark amber colour.
After pouring there was a good head which held right to the bottom of the glass and it had the perfect amount of fizz, in my opinion.
There was a strong hoppy aroma which smelled excellent.
The beer tasted strong, both alcohol and flavour wise, with a very bitter finish. However after the first few sips the bitterness seemed to subside a little and left me wanting more.
The beer reminded me slightly of a Nappa Smith Hoppageddon which I had a while ago and incidentally was 9.2% too.
Overall an enjoyable drink if slightly too bitter for my taste but I would certainly have another :-) ( but probably not on a week night)
Thank you

You are most welcome! :)

It's hardly surprising that it reminded you of a Hopmageddon, I've just googled it and it uses Chinook, Cascade, Warrior, Columbus, Mt. Hood, and Centennial to 144IBU. This one was actually an attempt to get close to Brewdog's Hardcore IPA so I used Cascade, Chinook and Bullion.

Too bitter you say? :lol: At 149 theoretical IBU I can't drink more than two of these either!!

Very glad you enjoyed it! :thumb:

:cheers:

1E SIMCOE SMASH
I settled down to drink this last night. After an evening watching Rugby and having to endure a pint of John Smiths Smooth, I was ready for a proper drink.
It poured with a lively carbonation , but settled with no head. It was quite hazy, this is not a problem to me .
It had a pleasant aroma of citrus and pine , Making me think I am going to enjoy this.
The first taste was clean and refreshing. The carbonation was perfect , setting off the hops dancing on the tastebuds.
The middle had a nice sweetness from the malt, with a dry grapefruity finish. There was a nice tingle without the burn of strong alcohol leaving me guessing around 4.2%.
I soon polished off the glass , feeling refreshed and wanting another.
In summary . This was a perfect ale for drinking in the garden on a warm summers evening. A nice session ale, that if had in the pub would get me in trouble as I would have to stay and have a few more.
I would give this beer 9/10 , dropping a mark because, being a northerner I do like a head.
Whoever made this did a cracking job and will be popular with his friends if he serves them this at a BBQ.
Thanks again. :cheers:
I took a photo but cant remember how to post them :roll:

These are my personal notes and are not based on any judging regime!!!

The bottle was left to stand for 7 days and then poured into a 23oz glass (thank you Baz).
As the bottle was so dark it was difficult to see if any lees came over, I think they did.
When first poured there was a bit of a head, who cares.
The beer had lovely mid brown colour + a very acceptable aroma.
The hop/ malt balance was perfect, as was the merest hint of carbonation.
I think maybe the beer was a little young as there was a hint of sweetness.
Overall a very nice pint, I would have been proud to have brewed it!

Cheers Graham. :thumb:

Two Simcoe smashes, they must be mine then :D
Many thanks for the kind words. I just wished I had had something more ready.
I'm really loving this hop. I think it is less in your face than Citra but still have a lovely smooth bitterness and tropical fruit flavour.
I used it mainly as a late hop which I think worked well.

I picked up 2J from the post office today. A fiery red head ginger ale at 8.6%.
I'm so looking forward to this :cheers:

redhousebrewing said:
This evening was time to crack open bottle 6F - Cocky Golden Bitter, 4.2%
Rested and chilled for 4 days...
Deep copper colour and after giving it 5 mins to warm slightly it was time for tasting...
There was a good amount of bitterness which was very refreshing, a modest but resilient head (my glasses don't encourage vigorous heads so not a criticism), gentle aromas, not particularly hoppy, very little sediment in the bottle.
For me it was a refreshing bitter rather than a session beer - definately hit the spot for today's weather!
Thanks to the brewer of 6F - much appreciated :cheers:

RHB
This was mine - my first ever AG brew. It's a clone of Jennings Cocker Hoop from the Graham Wheeler book. I mashed a little high so the FG was 1.016 making it a little sweeter than I think it should be. I used only 80g of priming sugar in 23l so it is less carbonated than I would like. I wrote a Brew Day post about it.

So I'm very pleased you liked it. Thanks for the review.

Another brewday in the sunny, steaming porch brewery and the ideal opportunity to crack open 4B. Arrived well packaged with a note informing me that the beer is called "Mistakes were made" and that it's around 6% abv :cheers: :thumb:.

9286064784_8a36c89a54_o.jpg

The bottle was in the fridge for nearly a week for the yeast to settle down. It poured a nice thick head that slowly disappeared until just the faintest of Belgian lace remain in the bottom of the now empty glass :cry:. Chill haze but all my beer suffer from the same "condition" (I no chill) so it does not bother me.
First whiff was of Cascade hops - aroma slightly muted for an American Amber ale, but good for an American Pale ale. Loads of mouthfeel - initial malt sweetness finishing long and just the right amount of bitterness. It as VERY VERY drinkable beer with very good balance between the malt and bitterness. I'm a bit miffed that the bottle swap only requires one bottle to be send - I can really do with another one of these right now!

Great beer - thanks! :clap:

PS: I would love to taste this beer dry hopped with some Cascade hops...

So my review of 5B (American Brown Ale), sorry no pictures!

I went to visit a friend near Cardiff for the weekend and so took this with me. The bottle was chilled to around 12c in the fridge and poured into a pint glass. It poured very well with a lovely creamy head which held all the way to the bottom of the glass. The nose was quite a hoppy aroma, citrusy and flowery - Very nice :)

Colour was a very dark brown which when held up to a light you could almost just see through, but you cant :)

On first sup it hits with a bitter taste but then mellows quickly into malty sweet flavours (caramel? or butterscotch?) very lovely and well balanced. The flavours compliment each other excellently and I could have done with 5/6 bottles more TBH! It has a very creamy mouth feel which help the flavour cling on right to the end!

All in all a great beer which I could have drunk all night, well done!

I received beer 1C, there was no sediment at all in the plastic bottle, cracking carbonation with a nice head right down to the final pour. it had been chilling overnight in the fridge as it was just delivered yesterday.
I hadn't noticed the abv was written on the bottle, I thought when tasting it, this must be at least 5.5% as I could taste the alcohol, it was 6%.
It tasted a bit like a Brewferm Pilsner, Im sure it was a beer kit as opposed to AG. apologies if I've just insulted someones all grain brewing!it had a sort of banana type flavour, couldn't pick out much hop character either. it was still a good pint and a very welcome one after my day helping out at a local brewery!

cheers

1C was mine...

...and I'm afraid it was AG :(

However, it was a bit of an experiment as I wanted something a little thinner in body, so added 500g of sugar to the brew. Hops were Perle for bittering, goldings and bobek for aroma, with a bobek/goldings hop tea when bottling.

It was decanted from glass to plastic so maybe something was lost there - most of the bottles I've tasted have a pretty good nose.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it! :cheers:

And so to 3C.

Label said IPA with added cascade, so I'm guessing before tasting that this might be kit based.

It has been chilling at 8 degrees since I got it, and I'm quite glad I did - this has a *lot* of fizz - I think it would have painted the ceiling if was at today's 29C!

I couldn't get a whole pint poured due to the head, but the 3/4 had a nice nose - I could defo smell the cascade.

9289370345_42dae37c85.jpg

Taste wise, it had a nice cascade flavour, followed by light malt and finished with a pretty robust bitterness, almost metallic but not quite - I would guess at least 45-50 IBU. A hint of cloves and banana from the yeast, maybe fermented warmish?

A nice mid brown colour and the head stayed to the bottom of the glass.

Overall, a good brew, and didn't last long in the glass - many thanks to my sender!

Cononthebarber said:
So my review of 5B (American Brown Ale), sorry no pictures!

I went to visit a friend near Cardiff for the weekend and so took this with me. The bottle was chilled to around 12c in the fridge and poured into a pint glass. It poured very well with a lovely creamy head which held all the way to the bottom of the glass. The nose was quite a hoppy aroma, citrusy and flowery - Very nice :)

Colour was a very dark brown which when held up to a light you could almost just see through, but you cant :)

On first sup it hits with a bitter taste but then mellows quickly into malty sweet flavours (caramel? or butterscotch?) very lovely and well balanced. The flavours compliment each other excellently and I could have done with 5/6 bottles more TBH! It has a very creamy mouth feel which help the flavour cling on right to the end!

All in all a great beer which I could have drunk all night, well done!

Conan - thanks for a kind review - I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I personally think the beer is a bit thin (my mash temps might be a bit low due to a faulty thermometer) and it's already lost a lot of hops aroma.

lambert said:
Conan - thanks for a kind review - I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I personally think the beer is a bit thin (my mash temps might be a bit low due to a faulty thermometer) and it's already lost a lot of hops aroma.

I don't think it would need any more body, IMO I reckon too much more and you'd be in stout territory but then with too many hops...I think you hit the nail on the head with this one :thumb:

Latest posts

Back