BeerSwap Feedback

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feedback for bottle 1G – “Dreimal eine Dame” – Belgian Tripel 9.4%

I was so excited to be opening this, having stood it for several days to clear and now chilled it down to 7C. The writing on the bottle smudged quite a bit with condensation in the fridge, but I’d already clocked the important stuff, not least the intriguing name: I was all set to do some Lionel Richie puns in the feedback, but this fantastic beer deserves my full attention (so you can make up your own!)

The end of another very hot day, rather later than I’d planned to sample this, as I’d underestimated the time to get it down to 7C. The bottle was clear at room temperature; the haze just formed with chilling and is perfectly acceptable to me and the style:

DreimaleineDame.jpg

The photo is a pretty fair representation of the colour, a light strawy-gold - very inviting. Seeing that this had been so generously supplied in a 500ml bottle, I did wonder if I should infer that the brewer might want this drunk from a pint glass, but I decided to go with a glass for the style and pour the rest (minus sediment) into a second glass for Mrs MTW’s examination.

A fairly dense, controlled head formed for a couple of minutes and then faded to a lovely fine foam across the surface that stayed all the way down – see second photo. Carbonation was delightful: small tingling bubbles on the tongue that never got in the way of any other taste, but still brought it to life. Aromas of very sweet, light maltiness and a hint of pleasant yeast funk. I couldn’t nail a hop smell as such, but it was just fragrant to an extent which befits the style. Looking very good indeed

The taste! After a welcoming wash of those small bubbles across the tongue, I was treated to a real masterclass in a mouthful. Really…this was absolutely superb. I will try to stay within the limits of my own ability to judge here, but I think I’m safe to tick off some banana notes, citrus (Mrs MTW got honeydew melon) and some complexity from the yeast’s work, subtle spice undertones. Overall though, it was incredibly smooth and balanced, medium in body, with the beautiful balance from the hops now evident. Very clean and refreshing, despite the 9.4%ABV, which was skilfully concealed in the taste: no overly alcoholic punch either at the start or in the aftertaste. As each mouthful progressed, the delicate light malt taste just danced around the gentle hop bitterness, neither ever stepping out of line. Both Mrs MTW and I were deeply impressed.

DreimalDregs.jpg

As one of the organisers of this Bottleswap, I have the dubious and inevitable ‘advantage’ of knowing (or at least sensing) that this will probably have been an all grain brew. To be honest, if this were to have been a kit, then that kit would be all over the forum like a rash and I’d have 10 FVs full of it at any time! Dreimal eine Dame has just inspired me to progress further in this craft, just when I was starting to think I may settle for tweaked kits and extracts for a long time. I would love to at least try an extract version of this for now, given a few more details. I have sampled many Belgian beers (my ‘local’ stocks 100 of them!), a few of them in Belgium, though I have much to learn to fully identify all the tastes and be able to recreate something as good as this at home. I will be at that local tonight, as it happens, with Tripels on offer from Westmalle and all the familiar producers, but I am unlikely to have anything that I will enjoy any more than this. You are once, twice, three times a very skilled brewer, Mr 1G.

Hi, as you guessed that one's mine! Thanks so much for the careful analysis, great to get feedback from a fellow lover of the Belgian Ale I had a few 500 ml bottles, thought you might enjoy sharing it. My brother lives in Holland and I got into drinking that style while visiting him.

I once went to a bottle shop in the centre of York that was great, is that near you?

You can see the production of this one in the post "BIAB Belgian Triple", it was great fun to make and without doubt my best brew. It was a Westmalle clone, I'll PM you the extract version if you want it. The other tweak I tried was adding some Brettanomyces to a few bottles and those have a nice Orval like earthyness.

Thanks again for your kind words, hope it was nice in this hot weather. Thanks for your organization. T

evanvine said:
WOW! Talk about a magnum opus!!
I think you must have liked it a tad!!! :D

I sure did. It really deserved it :clap:

Extract recipe - yes please, a pm would be great! I will look at the thread.

York is an hour away, and I don't know the shop, but will have a Google and drop in next time I'm there.

I will try a Westmalle tonight, while yours is fresh in my mind, but I know I've had it before and I'd be surprised if I enjoy it any more than yours. I just wish you could send everyone a bottle so they can judge for themselves! I guess that's what the Spring Thing is for.

fbsf said:
And so to 3C.

Label said IPA with added cascade, so I'm guessing before tasting that this might be kit based.

It has been chilling at 8 degrees since I got it, and I'm quite glad I did - this has a *lot* of fizz - I think it would have painted the ceiling if was at today's 29C!

I couldn't get a whole pint poured due to the head, but the 3/4 had a nice nose - I could defo smell the cascade.

9289370345_42dae37c85.jpg

Taste wise, it had a nice cascade flavour, followed by light malt and finished with a pretty robust bitterness, almost metallic but not quite - I would guess at least 45-50 IBU. A hint of cloves and banana from the yeast, maybe fermented warmish?

A nice mid brown colour and the head stayed to the bottom of the glass.
I am admitting this was mine
Thanks for the feed back
was made with 1kg light hopped spray malt and 350 grams of potters liquid malt so no sugars added used spray malt to prime too
this makes for the massive head!!
cascade hops were mashed into primary and dry hopped cascade in secondary
thanks again Nobby

Overall, a good brew, and didn't last long in the glass - many thanks to my sender!

2J - Fiery red head 8.6%

Overall pretty impressed. Nice and spicy with a good residual heat but a little too strong and sour for me. I added a splash of ginger cordial which worked really well.
As a non ginger beer drinker this is making want to make some so :thumb:

lambert said:
Another brewday in the sunny, steaming porch brewery and the ideal opportunity to crack open 4B. Arrived well packaged with a note informing me that the beer is called "Mistakes were made" and that it's around 6% abv :cheers: :thumb:.

9286064784_8a36c89a54_o.jpg

The bottle was in the fridge for nearly a week for the yeast to settle down. It poured a nice thick head that slowly disappeared until just the faintest of Belgian lace remain in the bottom of the now empty glass :cry:. Chill haze but all my beer suffer from the same "condition" (I no chill) so it does not bother me.
First whiff was of Cascade hops - aroma slightly muted for an American Amber ale, but good for an American Pale ale. Loads of mouthfeel - initial malt sweetness finishing long and just the right amount of bitterness. It as VERY VERY drinkable beer with very good balance between the malt and bitterness. I'm a bit miffed that the bottle swap only requires one bottle to be send - I can really do with another one of these right now!

Great beer - thanks! :clap:

PS: I would love to taste this beer dry hopped with some Cascade hops...

Thank you for the great feedback :party:

This was a SNPA clone and was my first extract brew. The brewday thread is HERE if you are interested. This is one of thoughs brews that I will not be able to replicate due to the mistakes made on the brewday but I will enjoy it as long as it lasts.

Apologies to whoever is waiting for the beer I sent them. I just got back from 2 weeks in Cuba, mailed the bottle today so you should receive it in a day or 2! Hopefully the tardiness will not affect your review :pray:

Also apologies to whoever is waiting on a review of their beer. I have the collection card so will pick up tomorrow, let it settle and drink/review at the weekend.

Cheers :thumb:

cwiseman77 said:
Apologies to whoever is waiting for the beer I sent them. I just got back from 2 weeks in Cuba, mailed the bottle today so you should receive it in a day or 2! Hopefully the tardiness will not affect your review :pray:

Also apologies to whoever is waiting on a review of their beer. I have the collection card so will pick up tomorrow, let it settle and drink/review at the weekend.

Cheers :thumb:

Nice to have Cuban weather over here Colin. Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

The bottle that has arrived at your post office for you should be 1D.

fbsf said:
shhhh...you aren't meant to tell them until after they have given the feedback! :lol:

Hey? :wha: What have I let slip? Sender of 1D hasn't identified themselves on the thread. Sorry if I've missed something.

Many of the swaps aren't in pairs, by the way, so sender of 1D has no idea who's sent theirs, as far as I know.

Bottle 2A
null_zps08a195ab.jpg

Came in a plastic 500ml bottle also known as brew 7 and with an abv of 5.5% according to its labelling.
null_zpsfd3ff359.jpg

After a hot day I thought it was time to crack 2A open as it had been sat settling for about six days in the fridge and was well any truly chilled.
What little sediment there was had nicely settled and the beer was a nice light straw colour and quite clear.
After all the effort and this chaps travels it got my tried and trusted carling pint glass and it poured nicely, not over carbonated that the head took over the glass but lots of bubbles, and a good froth that stayed the course.
Beautifully refreshing and a dryness that required further...gulps.
A good lagerish taste, as good if not better than anything I've drunk in a pub and certainly worth drinking a bit more.
I'm not certain as to suggest it is AG or just a kit done perfectly, either way Mr or Mrs 2A take a bow, a very nice beer and one you should be more than proud of. :thumb:

I'd been curious about 3D for the week it had sat in the fridge. The bottle was brown but I couldn't see any light through it. Tonight I took it outside and in the bright light I could see that it was not a stout, but a dark ale.
Went to the pub for tea and had a pint of Settlers Choice from a local brewery. It was OK but nothing special.
Back home and 3D was uncorked with an encouraging fizz. The body is dark and the beer clear. After 10 minutes the head, which formed easily has depleted to a ring. The initial impression on the nose was bubble gum! This soom mingled with rhubarb and caramel.
I was suprisedc by the relative dryness of the flavour. A mere hint of sweetness and a balanced fruitiness. Blackcurrent and molasses compliment each other. I'd guess it is 4% or a little more.
All in all a lovely beer. Darker than I brew myself and the Blackburn brewery who's beer I drank earlier could not compete.

Thanks to the organisers, this had been a delight. I have heard nothing of my own efforts, so far.

Kinleycat said:
Bottle 2A
null_zps08a195ab.jpg

Came in a plastic 500ml bottle also known as brew 7 and with an abv of 5.5% according to its labelling.
null_zpsfd3ff359.jpg

After a hot day I thought it was time to crack 2A open as it had been sat settling for about six days in the fridge and was well any truly chilled.
What little sediment there was had nicely settled and the beer was a nice light straw colour and quite clear.
After all the effort and this chaps travels it got my tried and trusted carling pint glass and it poured nicely, not over carbonated that the head took over the glass but lots of bubbles, and a good froth that stayed the course.
Beautifully refreshing and a dryness that required further...gulps.
A good lagerish taste, as good if not better than anything I've drunk in a pub and certainly worth drinking a bit more.
I'm not certain as to suggest it is AG or just a kit done perfectly, either way Mr or Mrs 2A take a bow, a very nice beer and one you should be more than proud of. :thumb:

Glad you enjoyed :drink: - it was a wilko pilsner kit pimped with 1.25kg beer enhancer and 500g brewers sugar then dry hopped with Saaz (probably more like 5.8% ABV as I forgot to correct for temps on the readings). It was pretty young (bottled 26/6) but the sediment compacted really well in the couple I have tried - hopefully it will continue getting better as it conditions more.

Thanks
RHB

anthonyUK said:
2J - Fiery red head 8.6%

Overall pretty impressed. Nice and spicy with a good residual heat but a little too strong and sour for me. I added a splash of ginger cordial which worked really well.
As a non ginger beer drinker this is making want to make some so :thumb:

Glad you liked it! It was my first time making a ginger beer and I decided to add a load of Malt to it to give it more "beerness" and body as I'm not too keen on thinner drinks. I tend to serve it with lime cordial after a while as it can become overpowering. Cheers for the feedback :thumb:

So I got 3B (I think as it was on the packaging and I throw it out :oops: ) It was called 'Hopping Mad Yank' and was an APA at 4.5%.

The bottle was given plenty of time to settle before being poured. It poured with a lovely tight head that unfortunetly did not last to long but I think this was down to my glass rather than the beer. It was a dark copper colour and had a slight chill haze. The aroma from the beer was citrusy and slightly tropical. Guessing there was some cascade used as it has a similar aroma to to one of my beers. The beer was beautifully balanced with a nice big hoppy bitterness and flovours of tropical fruit and citrus .A slight malty sweetness followed but the beer finished dry making you want to go back for more. Personely I think it lack a little carbonation but that would not make me stopping drinking all night.

This was an amazing beer and the brewer should be very proud :clap: :clap: :clap:

alanywiseman said:
So I got 3B (I think as it was on the packaging and I throw it out :oops: ) It was called 'Hopping Mad Yank' and was an APA at 4.5%.

The bottle was given plenty of time to settle before being poured. It poured with a lovely tight head that unfortunetly did not last to long but I think this was down to my glass rather than the beer. It was a dark copper colour and had a slight chill haze. The aroma from the beer was citrusy and slightly tropical. Guessing there was some cascade used as it has a similar aroma to to one of my beers. The beer was beautifully balanced with a nice big hoppy bitterness and flovours of tropical fruit and citrus .A slight malty sweetness followed but the beer finished dry making you want to go back for more. Personely I think it lack a little carbonation but that would not make me stopping drinking all night.

This was an amazing beer and the brewer should be very proud :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hopping mad yank was mine :-) (I packed the beer and realised I forgot to write the ticket number on the bottle)
It was my first ever extract brew, it was the American pale ale from the homebrew company, I used a 12L pan for it, I put some photos up when I brewed it. It used magnum and cascade hops.
I used carbonation drops when priming this beer and only used 1 per bottle, and i too was a little disappointed with the level of carbonation, but have been really enjoying the beer.
I have since bought a bottling barrel which I batch prime with.
Thank you for the kind review

Thanks for the feed back on 3c cascade hopped
was made with 1kg light hopped spray malt and 350 grams of potters liquid malt so no sugars added used spray malt to prime too
this makes for the massive head!!
cascade hops were mashed into primary and dry hopped cascade in secondary
thanks again Nobby

Latest posts

Back