BeerSwap Feedback

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
review of 2c cascade simcoe pale ale

The presentation of the bottle was the only thing letting it down,never mind all information was there

Looks like, looking through the bottle it looks like it is not a kit

Looks like grains in bottle bottom to me

Any way opening

I poured slowly into my favourite large jug

and the aroma was outstanding

It looks very cloudy but is it a Belgium style?

Straw coloured

Very heavy citrus notes

Very oily after taste

Rich dry very fruity

Very lovely tasting beer would love the recipe.

I would have given it a perfect mark ten out of ten

but I think you lost half a mark out of 10 for omitting to remove the old label of your bottle

rihh.jpg

ejh8.jpg

xlxi.jpg

Thanks a lot for the great ale
Nobby

Review of 5F Alien's Best Bitter.

Came in a very nice small blue bottle with a swing top.

Ingredients listed as lager malt, crystal malt, flaked barley and chocolate malt with EKG and fuggle hops plus Nottingham yeast.
On opening there was a very loud pop - perhaps this is normal for this type of cap. The carbonation was spot on for a bitter and it had a perfect head.

The beer was very dark. It seemed too dark for a 4% bitter but that's probably due to the current trend for blonde and pale ales.
The flavour was very malty and dry, and not particularly bitter. I'm no expert on beer styles but it seems more like a dark mild, although it probably isn't sweet enough for that.
Anyway, none of that matters, because it was a very nice beer. My only criticism is the bottle was less than 500mL as I would love to have drunk more of it. Can I have the recipe please? I'm particularly curious about the use of flaked barley as I've only seen this added to stouts - is this where the dryness comes from?

So, congratulations to the brewer of 5F as it was great and also nice to have something other than a pale ale or blonde.

2C was mine! sorry about the bottle label! the fyne ales labels are a nightmare to get off! the recipe was 4kg pale, 20g simcoe at 60 min start of boil, 20g at 40 mins and 60g at 0 mins, I then dry hopped after 1 week in fv with 200g cascade pellets hence the oilyness!. I should have transferred to a fresh fv for bottling but couldn't be arsed so bottled straight from fv, some bits of hop did get it in the bottles, its not grains! glad you enjoyed it, its still coming out hazy from the cornie after 5 or 6 pints but its feckin tasty! my brewday post http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40055&hilit=simcoe

Cheers for review 5f was mine I wasn't sure what category to put into . This should have been stronger had poor efficiency with this brew. Recipe
4.6kg lager malt
0.25kg crystal
0.2kg flaked barley
0.15kg chocolate malt
90 min mash at 69
60 min boil
15g ekg 5% 60 min + 15g fuggle 4.5%
15g ekg at 30 min + 15g fuggle
Irish moss at 15 min
15 g ekg + fuggle at flame out
Nottingham yeast at 18 degrees

evanvine said:
Cheers Graham. :thumb:

Thanks for the review. It was my first attempt using a mash tun rather than BIAB. I've almost finished them all now :(

Thanks to the organisers, not an easy job but your efforts are appreciated.

Graham

Bottle 3E arrived safe and sound this afternoon cheers

is int fridge at mo till maybe sunday and ill try it then
Thanks
efvd.jpg

Duxuk said:

I'd been curious about 3D for the week it had sat in the fridge. The bottle was brown but I couldn't see any light through it. Tonight I took it outside and in the bright light I could see that it was not a stout, but a dark ale.
Went to the pub for tea and had a pint of Settlers Choice from a local brewery. It was OK but nothing special.
Back home and 3D was uncorked with an encouraging fizz. The body is dark and the beer clear. After 10 minutes the head, which formed easily has depleted to a ring. The initial impression on the nose was bubble gum! This soom mingled with rhubarb and caramel.
I was suprisedc by the relative dryness of the flavour. A mere hint of sweetness and a balanced fruitiness. Blackcurrent and molasses compliment each other. I'd guess it is 4% or a little more.
All in all a lovely beer. Darker than I brew myself and the Blackburn brewery who's beer I drank earlier could not compete.

Thanks to the organisers, this had been a delight. I have heard nothing of my own efforts, so far.

I'll hold my hands up to this one, thanks for the feedback :thumb:

It was meant to have a label, which in the excitement of the wrapping and posting I helpfully forgot that I'd made and left in a drawer! It's a kit brew, "Almondbury Old Ale" for any who may want to explore it further...

Not yet sampled my delivery as the postie has been most tardy and left the bottle in the garden hedge... and I didn't find the card that he'd left for 3 or 4 days! So I'm letting it go at least a week before sampling, only fair that it settles properly.

Review of 3E

Pale good head at first

I served it cold but would have been better ice cold

the aroma is citrus type

Good beer but in a pepsi cola bottle I now have to dispose of

w68z.jpg

x3ae.jpg

so cos of the bottle 8 out o 10

Cheers
Nobby

3E was mine nobyipa, glad you enjoyed it and sorry about the delay in postage! it is very good ice cold but not so great cool. as for the bottle, my postage was something like £2.60 because of the weight, so I was chuffed with it :lol:

Well I got back from America yesterday so was too knackered to open 1B and do it any kind of justice...

...so I though I'd keep it for today, my birthday. No pressure then! ;)

I thought when it arrived I could see hops floating around in the bottle which I took as a good sign, I suspected dry hopping and blimey was I right. As soon as the Pffst came from the bottle I could smell American hops and, after a few days drinking American craft beer that made me very happy! I'm not sure but I think there is my favourite hop in there. Chinook?

9ypageva.jpg

Pale, but not just single malt, a touch of crystal in there which is giving a nice malty roundness which is balancing, perfectly, a really meaty bitterness - somewhere in the 60-70 IBU range at a guess.

Someone has just sent me EXACTLY the right beer. For me and for the weather! :clap: :clap:

Brewer 1B, I take my hat of to you. :hat:

Your beer is right up my street. Please send another... ;)

Failing that, the recipe will do!

PS. The head lasted right to the bottom. :thumb:

ja8upypu.jpg

Thanks Callum for the great review, glad you liked it :thumb: I've been enjoying a couple myself this evening and I'm glad it turned out well (it did take me two tries! :))

The recipe is HERE and the first failed attempt is HERE :cheers:

Cononthebarber said:
Thanks Callum for the great review, glad you liked it :thumb: I've been enjoying a couple myself this evening and I'm glad it turned out well (it did take me two tries! :))

The recipe is HERE and the first failed attempt is HERE :cheers:

You should be proud of that!

Which hop is it giving the really Chinook-like flavour then? The millennium? It's too powerful for it to be the cascade...

Yeah I think so, I've never used millennium or magnum before so I'm not sure...I think this was a good one, I'm definitely going to be making a few more super hoppy American style brews, am loving them! Think I'm becoming a "hophead"... :lol:

Keep the feedback coming in "swappers" it is really invaluable.
The uptake has been great for a first swap and the feedback even better, it really makes the event worthwhile to read everyones contributions.
Any thoughts on the next swap (probably the secret santa), anything relating to dates, deliveries, sub groups or anything else for that matter will be gratefully received. The better we can all make it the more fun we can have and the more feedback we can get on our own brews.

KC :thumb:

i'd say there's just a lot of hop oil flavour in there overall and the cascade fruitiness is coming through calum - millennium seems to be a herbal bittering hop. hey, maybe it's something we can all learn from, you don't need a tonne of cascade for IPA flavour!

E92F2DB9-430E-4D9E-885F-22FC5F63EE22-6740-00000559161142B2_zpsdcb984cc.jpg

4D - 'Arf Nelson:
A good rich copper coloured ale, on pouring it has a large head, with fairly large bubbles; but the head dissipates quite quickly. Initial appearance is that it has a fairly indistinct aroma at the outset, though that could be down to the hayfever...

It us quite lively with a good carbonation. Aside from the early gas which made it look cloudy, it settled quickly and is quite clean and relatively clear.

The immediate flavour is of grapefruit and other lemon citrus background notes, which I then picked up in the aroma throughout the rest of the pint. There is no long lingering aftertaste, but a crisp sharp bite which works wonders on your tastebuds. A fine lip smacking tang to the first couple of mouthfuls, this is really a rather good ale for the summer, it would go well with a BBQ and although it's got an OG of 1047 it seems initially like it could be a good session ale in the flavour department. I started to feel that I could have several pints without looking at another ale, however, the alcohol starts to come through near the end of the pint and if it were to be a session tipple, getting up from my seat might possibly be more of a challenge than usual.

Overall, I enjoyed this enormously, the lack of flavour detail is possibly down to my inability to define specific flavours articulately, but I know what I like and I'd certainly order a pint of 'Arf Nelson!

Latest posts

Back