Coopers Stout krausen, newby question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqrson

Reaction score
Hi guys,
On my 3rd brew now and after reading maaany positive reviewes for Coopers Stout, decided to try it for myself. My only concern is the very big krausen during fermentation. some ppl mentioned it is pushing the lid off the fermenter :eek: Now, if that happened in my flat, SHMBO would go mental and.. well I think we all now what that would mean.. Now to my question:

1. I got 30L fermenter, if I make it to 21L am I still running the risk of a disaster (without using any overflow equipment??
2. The website suggest using 1kg coopers beer enhancer 1 with it, is this the best option or am I better off with a 1,5kg can of dark malt (not worried about the costs, just want a good pint)?

thx in advance

Put an old towel under the fv before you pitch the yeast, or one of those large flexible plastic tubs. I made mine up to 20L and didn't have any issue with the coopers stout, but it did get right up to the lid.

ok, will give it a go. FV full of Bulldog's Double IPA at the moment, then 2 weeks for Four Finger Jack before I can put the stout on.. Will add 500g extra dark spraymalt, 1kg coopers enhancer 2 and some dark treacle too. Should be a blast :drink:

Coopers Stout does do that and it may be an idea to keep the fermentation temperature around 18-19 °C, which would help the final flavour too

Just wondering, that it might be too much malt in there, should I get rid of enhancer and just go with 500g extra dark spray malt + 500g dextrose and 250g of treacle? What do you guys think?

I suggest you need to leave 4 inches of headroom for the krausen, plus 1 for SWMBO. So you don't want more than 22L of wort, I'm guessing.

In that case your second list of ingredients looks good for 5% ABV.

Don't forget the towel. Belt and braces for this one!

:cheers:

thanks for all the advice, much appreciated :thumb:
Now, one more question: whats the critical 'timeframe' I might expect the crazy krausen trying to blow my fv? I guess somewhat between 12-48hours after pitching? I will make sure I wont be at work to control it just in case.. :hmm:

sqrson said:
thanks for all the advice, much appreciated :thumb:
Now, one more question: whats the critical 'timeframe' I might expect the crazy krausen trying to blow my fv? I guess somewhat between 12-48hours after pitching? I will make sure I wont be at work to control it just in case.. :hmm:

Not quite - my latest did very little for 24, disappointing at 48, at its best at 72, removed the krausen collar, post danger, at 96hrs.

I believe the Coopers yeast does its quickest at temps much higher than ambient in British bedrooms, but from my limited experience, does its best at 19-22 Celcius.

Watch for the third day!

Just found an interesting info on Cooper website:

During the first stage of fermentation dark brews may foam up through the airlock. This is a sign that the yeast is working effectively. To avoid this, fill the fermenter to 15-18 litres then top up, to the 20 litre mark with cool boiled water once the foaming has subsided.
Do you guys think it sounds ok? Seems like a good idea, anyone out there tried that method already?

What you could do is replace your airlock for a blow-off tube. Put tubing in the hole you would normally have the airlock and take that tubing through to a bowl/ bucket of water. Essentially you've got yourself a giant airlock, so it doesn't matter if the beer crawls it's way into it, and it allows a lot more gas to escape than a traditional airlock would.

Back