Grainfather G30 - Worth the upgrade?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm thinking of upgrading to a new G30 from the S40. The S40 is decent for the money, but the poor mash temperature control is creating havoc with my FG.

I wondered what people think of the G30. My main basis for wanting to upgrade is the PID for controlling temperature - apparently it's pretty bang on out the box and mash is perfect!

I have a G30. From what I've heard of the S40, it's the cheaper brother. PID is indeed bang on, and with the recirc, I normally get consistent mash temperature to within a small fraction of a degree of the target (measured independently with a probe in the mash as well as with the GF's thermowell). If you're wanting to change from the S40, then I'd definitely say go to the G30 (they also do a G40 as well, but that's pricey!)

Snapped this up. Right bit of kit! Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Much appreciated!
That's brilliant pal. I knew when i saw it advertised that it was the rolls royce of brewing kit and you are a very lucky man who now owns the beauty. I hope it makes you lots of fine beer and i have no doubt that it will. Cheers

She's a beauty! First brew on it tonight. Got running water in a rough fashion to the shed too. Happy days! The partner is happy I'm not wrecking the kitchen anymore too 😂

Cheers!

PXL_20230726_191528974.jpg

excellent. Whats the capacity of the new set up as in how much beer can the tank hold?
I have just finished a brew as well and tried a new way for me for adding hops. When the boil is finished and cooling the wort i have stopped cooling it at 80deg and added some hops for 40 mins just stewing in the wort letting it cool naturally and after the 40 mins turned the tap back on and cooled it rapidly down to pitching temp.

56L capacity! I believe I could really push it if I wanted and do a 45L brew on it!

Last night was a quick test run really to get to grips with the new brewing system. 20L SMASH batch, no chill. Straight into a Hdpe cube and in the fermentation fridge to cool overnight. I want to build a copper wort chiller that perfectly suits the new kettle for fast cooling. I'll probably get the parts ordered soon from Toolstation.

Nice one on the 80 degree hop addition! I've tried it in the past and had really good results. One came out so well I skipped the dry hop plan and saved the hops for another brew! I'll definitely be doing this once I have the wort chiller set up!

56L capacity! I believe I could really push it if I wanted and do a 45L brew on it!

Last night was a quick test run really to get to grips with the new brewing system. 20L SMASH batch, no chill. Straight into a Hdpe cube and in the fermentation fridge to cool overnight. I want to build a copper wort chiller that perfectly suits the new kettle for fast cooling. I'll probably get the parts ordered soon from Toolstation.

Nice one on the 80 degree hop addition! I've tried it in the past and had really good results. One came out so well I skipped the dry hop plan and saved the hops for another brew! I'll definitely be doing this once I have the wort chiller set up!

IMG_20220829_155020.jpg
IMG_20220829_154828.jpg

Here is the cooling coil that i made and i have 2 spare brass compression fittings that you simply screw the plastic hose fittings on to for the quick release water hose attachment. I paid £20 for the 4 of them and it took me a few days to find them because toolstation and screwfix dont sell them. I searched ebay,aliexpress etc etc and eventually found a wee plumbing supplies place who would only sell me a pack of 4. you can have the 2 spares that i have for a tenner plus post if you plan on using the hose fittings. These are for the 10mm copper coil and tool station sell all the hose fittings etc which are very cheap. Those black and green plastic hose fittings were 69p each. You can let me know anyway. Cheers Rab

Last edited:
Back