Home Brew Competition - May 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without referring back to the rules it does feel like the spirit of the SMaSH is about the ultimate combination of a malt, a hop and a yeast.

And to avoid any doubt and fuzzy lines. It should be defined as that. Who has the final say? The judge/forum mod?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Without referring back to the rules it does feel like the spirit of the SMaSH is about the ultimate combination of a malt, a hop and a yeast.

And to avoid any doubt and fuzzy lines. It should be defined as that. Who has the final say? The judge/forum mod?

I don't think the mods can have a final say as non afaik take part in the competitions.

I have a suggestion why not form a committee, i could post a poll with a list of names and you decide on how many you think would need to be committee members and then members vote, i may be able to allow multiple votes per member once we know the amount of committee members we need.

So far i have the names below made up of members who have commented in the thread.

(let me know if your name is not on the list and you would like it to be or if it is and you are not interested)

Doctormick

Hoddy

JFB

AlanManly

SteveStrange

WFR42

Leon103

Dan125

Grizzly299jceg316

So far i have the names below made up of members who have commented in the thread.

(let me know if your name is not on the list and you would like it to be or if it is and you are not interested)

Doctormick

Hoddy

JFB

AlanManly

SteveStrange

WFR42

Leon103

Dan125

Grizzly299jceg316

Please add mine.

I have a suggestion why not form a committee, i could post a poll with a list of names and you decide on how many you think would need to be committee members and then members vote, i may be able to allow multiple votes per member once we know the amount of committee members we need.

Doctormick

Hoddy

JFB

AlanManly

SteveStrange

WFR42

Leon103

Dan125

Grizzly299

jceg316

Sounds like a good idea. I'd maybe say at least three? As would need a majority vote if a decision is debated and could end up with a stalemate between two?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I had thought of 3 but its up to all members who bottle swap obviously an odd number for the reasons you have given.

SMaSHgate love it!! I find it a funny style. The malt and hops should shine? where does the yeast play in all of this? after all men & women make wort yeast makes beer..

SMaSH to me means single hop, single malt. Unmalted adjuncts such as oats/wheat/rice husks etc. are fine in my opinion but any malted adjuncts (malted wheat etc.) are out.

I have a suggestion why not form a committee

I'm not sure there are enough issues/clarifications that need to be addressed to warrant having a commitee. Could we not just have a poll to see what the general concensus is on the SMASH rules?

The style guidelines do state that it should be a single type of grain, but doesn't mention the use of any sugars/flavourings or if only one type of yeast should be used - I think these are the only points we need to decide on.

Whoever mentioned "spirit of the smash" I think hit the nail on the head. They are about showing how good a beer can be made from a single malt and a single hop. I think unmalted grains or flavourings spoil that a little.

How about for the sake of simplicity we just say no adjuncts and no flavourings? Who'd have thought a smash could be so complicated :?

Whoever mentioned "spirit of the smash" I think hit the nail on the head. They are about showing how good a beer can be made from a single malt and a single hop. I think unmalted grains or flavourings spoil that a little.

How about for the sake of simplicity we just say no adjuncts and no flavourings? Who'd have thought a smash could be so complicated :?

I'm with Steve on this one. Keep it simple and remove any doubt. We have/or will have categories to cover off special adjuncts later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's the same as allowing too broad a spectrum of brews into any category, how are judges supposed to compare brews if they can't judge them using the same criteria?

It would just be a case of picking the best beer generally, rather than the best SMASH beer.

Keep it simple I recon, Single Malt and Single Hop, no adjuncts of any sort . Not that I'm entering this competition, I just felt the need to chime in.

Or create a more explicit style name like SGASHWNA

Single Grain and Single Hop with No adjuncts :lol:

I think I've left it too late for this one unfortunately, but if I had more time I would've tried something off the wall, like a rye citra pale, or a Vienna-fuggles barleywine.

First bottle confirmed winging its way to me (thanks @dan125!).

Bring on the beer!

First bottle arrived from @dan125.

Hoping to set up a quaffing evening on the 27th May so there is an arbitrary deadline set there.

Latest posts

Back