Home Brew Competition - May 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thoroughly enjoyed this - i once read about homebrew tasting 'homebrewy' and i wonder if it was why my beers never matched the flavours/aromas i wanted. Having now tried four beers by three other homebrewers i realise that the disparity i find between my beer and shop beer is definitely down to me and my processes, so i learned something in the process.

Well done to all involved and thanks for taking part!

Really surprised by the low entertainment rate.

I guess some people like me had some disasters that meant they didn't submit an entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thoroughly enjoyed this - i once read about homebrew tasting 'homebrewy' and i wonder if it was why my beers never matched the flavours/aromas i wanted. Having now tried four beers by three other homebrewers i realise that the disparity i find between my beer and shop beer is definitely down to me and my processes, so i learned something in the process.

Well done to all involved and thanks for taking part!

I'd have to say that the feedback from the forum and other comps as well as the feedback and chance to try other's brews in bottle swaps (I've got a bottle of a hoppy brown ale that I was particularly please with out of the keg, if I can tempt you?) has helped me improve my beers and I'd thorougly recommend it to you and others.

Orange SMaSH - American Blond Ale

12 litre batch (I actually doubled the mash size and split it though my efficiency wasn't really any different to normal)

2.5kg. Vienna Malt - Mash 60mins @ 65C

30 minute boil - hopped with Manderina Baveria 7.9% AA

5g @ 30 mins
5g @ 10 mins
10g @ 5 mins
12.5g @ 0 mins

20g dry hop a day after pitching (9 days total)
40g dry hop 7 days after pitching) 3 day total

Fermented with US05 at uncontrolled but cool Ale temperature

Pushed the carbonation towards the top end of the style around 3.0 vol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry i missed this. As my comp (and others) had tastings a week or so later than deadlines I intended to submit mine today to arrive tomorrow/Thurs.

Must've missed the early date notification due to being away. Nm though. Next time.

Well done to the top 3! 😎🍻

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kewi or Won't He
23L
No Chill
90 min boil

5K Marris Otter

Motueka 20g @ 60min
Motueka 20g @ 5min
Motueka 50g @ in cube
Motueka 50g @ dry hop

Kewi or Won't He
23L
No Chill
90 min boil

5K Marris Otter

Motueka 20g @ 60min
Motueka 20g @ 5min
Motueka 50g @ in cube
Motueka 50g @ dry hop

Apologies if this is a little off topic on this thread..........Do you get any bitterness extraction from the cube addition do you think?

Apologies if this is a little off topic on this thread..........Do you get any bitterness extraction from the cube addition do you think?

Yes I think so, I use the brewers friend recipe builder and they have a no chill option. I'm not convinced how accurate it is but if you base all your recipes on this model you can get a good idea of the bitterness of your future brews.

Latest posts

Back