Inkbird Temp Controller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crilly

Reaction score
So finally got my fermentation fridge up and running and looking to do my first brew on Saturday.

What temp settings would you recommend for an Ale, currently set at 19c as I understand the fermentation process will raise the temp a few degrees. As the temp probe will be attached to the FV should a raise the base temp slightly to compensate for the rise in temp.

Been testing with water and currently stable at 18.6c, CD & HD set at 0.5

I always brew my bitters between 20-22c constant and at this time of the year the InkBird will keep it at that but in the winter, being in the garage, I have to increase the InkBird temp to compensate for the cold outside the Fridge, its just a case of watching and playing with it!

The fermentation process will produce heat which will heat the wort in the fermentation vessel, but the InkBird will keep the temperature at whatever temperature you set it. With a setting of 19 and a differential of 0.5 your wort should always be kept at between 19.0 and 19.5. As to what temperature you should use, I would suggest that you start by looking at the recommended temperature range for the yeast you are using and go with something in the centre of that range.

Where are you putting the probe? And what yeast are you using? You can then get an idea if you want it clean or estery and look for threads about that strain.

I found there was a difference in temp (around 0.7ºC) between the Inkbird probe (taped and insulated to the side of the FV) and the actual temp of the wort itself as measured with another digital thermometer. I consequently re-calibrated my Inkbird to compensate for this offset and set it to match the actual wort temperature.

Fermentation is exothermic so it does 'self-heat' but your Inkbird and fridge will offset that effect by cooling when necessary in order to maintain temperature stability.

Latest posts

Back