Jay's Electric Brewery Build - UK Version

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay7792

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm back after a near 12 month break due to the birth of my little girl:) I was worried about all the homebrew smells and fumes not being very good for her as our old house was rather small.

BUT....... We have now moved to a much bigger house and my daughter is now 8 months old I thought is was time to get back to it.

I was inspired by Barneeys brewery build http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... =6&t=50861 that I have decided to try and build my own box along with a nice new Brew Shed in which to put it:)

Hi All,

My Steel Enclosure arrived today :D

It is IP65 Rated and very, very heavy.

I am very happy with the quality of the enclosure, it has a removable Gland Plate on the bottom and also a removable steel back plate inside.

Jay

evanvine said:
I am very happy with the quality of the enclosure, it has a removable Gland Plate on the bottom and also a removable steel back plate inside.
What is it for? :wha:

Its going to be my control box for my electric brewery :cheers:

Jay

evanvine said:
Thank you for the modified URL. :thumb:

Your control box looks big, how much control/switch gear are you planning to put in it? :wha:

Hello, the box is 600x600x250mm.

See the link below, this is going to be a 1 time upgrade so I want it to contain everything I could possibly want or need.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

oh yes bells and whistles....

Hi All, a few more bits turned up today :D

My PIDs turned up, I went with the Sestos versions x3

They came with 25A SSRs which will be no good for my build so they have been upgraded to 40A versions.

My Heat Sink also arrived, this will be mounted on top of the enclosure and my Element PIDs will be bolted to it :D

It has taken a knock in the post and 1 of the fins has got a bit bent but can easily be straightened.

I was thinking about getting a black anodising kit just to finish the Heat Sink off....... what do you guys think?

My 40A Element SSRs :D

Some of my 22mm Panel LEDs arrived, still waiting for the others.

Some of my cable arrived to, I went with 6mm 53A cable for the main power in, elements etc etc in red, black and earth.

For the rest of the general wiring I have gone for 2mm 25A cable.

Thinking on it now 2mm sounds a bit thin, it is rated at 25A so should be just fine?

That's about it for the moment, all comments welcomed.

caerleon said:
So Jay your creating your own micro/pico brewery? Nice!

Hello mate, I guess I am...... I have been away from this great hobby for the best part of the last 12 months, plus we have just moved to a much bigger house that allows me to build a nice Brew Shed in the garden that I wanted something nice to brew on :cheers:

Hi Jay,

Good Luck with the panel build, I shall be watching this with interest as it will be my project for next year. I so need to get some brewing done now that the panel will just have to wait until then, hopefully by then I would have picked-up some good tips from following your build. :-) I've included the panel in the design for my brewery-build for now just so as I know where I could install it.

Newtown_corel_plans_zps9b59d8b1.jpg

Can you, please, tell me where you got your alloy heatsink from as, at the moment, I haven't got any suppliers listed on my panel-build spreadsheet.

All the best

Good luck with your build Jay. I'm also in the process of going all automated. It is going in fits and starts my end as things arrive from good ol China and some bits from the good old USA. Keep the pics coming. :thumb:

thedrayman said:
Hi Jay,

Good Luck with the panel build, I shall be watching this with interest as it will be my project for next year. I so need to get some brewing done now that the panel will just have to wait until then, hopefully by then I would have picked-up some good tips from following your build. :-) I've included the panel in the design for my brewery-build for now just so as I know where I could install it.

Newtown_corel_plans_zps9b59d8b1.jpg

Can you, please, tell me where you got your alloy heatsink from as, at the moment, I haven't got any suppliers listed on my panel-build spreadsheet.

All the best

Hello mate, that looks really good:) just was I am trying to achieve in my brew shed

I got the Heat Sink from here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170759971582? ... 1439.l2649

bobsbeer said:
Good luck with your build Jay. I'm also in the process of going all automated. It is going in fits and starts my end as things arrive from good ol China and some bits from the good old USA. Keep the pics coming. :thumb:

Hey Bob, good luck with yours to mate!!!

This is going to be my dream come true, so I'm hoping to only build this the once so it will contain all the bells and whistle!!

I know what you mean with regards to waiting on China and the US, I'm waiting on a few bits myself:)

Just ordered my Volt and Amp Meters :D

Coming from China though so it may take a while :|

Jay

I've got an 'electric-brewery'.

I hope you are okay with your FOTEK SSRs, however, just a word of warning, my ebay ones were complete **** and all failed. Oh, and the failure mode is to fail ON, short-circuit, so watch out. If you google this is known issue, rogue sellers, price too-good-to-be true.

The replacements I have are much more expensive, but have worked flawlessly for 15 batches.

Latest posts

Back