New fermenting vessel required

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
The lid on my FV has split so when I order my next kit, I also need to order a new FV.

I've been using one of these since I started;
OLD.png
However, looking online, everyone seems to now also be selling these;
NEW.png

This could be the stupid question to end all stupid questions, but other than the shape I'm not clear what the difference is? The second type is a bit more expensive but I certainly wouldn't suffer the split lid again. Are there any other advantages to the newer design?

Thank you for any help.

I guess the lid would seal better than the bucket and the smaller hole would perhaps restrict air ingress when you open for any reason during fermentation, other than that a bucket works fine, though I have never actually used one ;)

The later are easier to lift and shake about to aerate wort.

They have a recess for fitting a tap. Although, a think they're designed for wine fermentation, so it's slightly too high for the amount of trub you get with beer. Tilting on racking is required.

They can be modified for low pressure closed transfer.

You can get spare caps for them, both solid or pre-drilled for an airlock bung.

As above these are primarily wine fermenters. You can use them for beer though. Personally I've stuck with the buckets for many many years,

The lid on my FV has split so when I order my next kit, I also need to order a new FV.

I've been using one of these since I started;
View attachment 87811
However, looking online, everyone seems to now also be selling these;
View attachment 87812
This could be the stupid question to end all stupid questions, but other than the shape I'm not clear what the difference is? The second type is a bit more expensive but I certainly wouldn't suffer the split lid again. Are there any other advantages to the newer design?

Thank you for any help.
I use these for both beer and wine. No problems at all.

Out of my 6 buckets I find the Wilko the best,the other 5 are all the same from HB Online when it was open. The Wilko has a good seal on the lid,the others are OK but the lids sometimes pop.

Back