THBF Secret Santa - The Results Thread!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've received mine, and I've sent one, but so far no indication if it's been received...

the one I got is sitting in the fridge.. knocked it over the other day while putting in the christmas stash of cheeses, so decided to leave it another day or two to settle...

Received my bottle of secret Santa wine intact in the post.Blueberry and nettle,hmmmm interesting stuff.Last night shift before the hols so will be drinking it soon.Will get back to you with my review!Cheers! :pray:

Really enjoyed reading the tasting to date, well done to all who've partaken :clap:
Plastic bottles would save on cost, possibly sending 330ml ones might do it further but could be seen as stingy :whistle: :lol:

Great reading this post! Glad the secret santa is going well. Commiserations to those who's brews were lost :( I can only pray for the families of the royal mail operatives who will no doubt be suffering for generations with the wrath of the beer gods!

I got mine the other day, will leave it in the fridge for a few more days then have it...review and pics will follow :thumb:

fbsf said:
:( Sniff, Sniff.

8280913887_5867fd64bf.jpg

Smells lovely though, so apart from the slight plastic-baggy smell, so aroma = 9/10.

Not much head to speak of..

Mouthfeel, a little sharp... :lol:

Do you think it was a SMASH ??

I sent mine, two weekends ago, it was about 960g.
Got a royal mail delivery ticket, and picked up my parcel on Thursday - nicely packed box. Very intriguiing blow up bottle container inside - so no breakage likely (I'm saving that to send out next years!).
label says stout (or was it porter?) - malt and hops, 3.8%
it's in the fridge, settling and cooling. I'll probably try it tonight.

Mine has just arrived. A stout, which I shall settle out and enjoy at the weekend.

Received mine last week - Pale Ale ( My favorite ) Can't wait to try this, it's in a glass bottle and by the sounds of things very lucky it didnt smash ( although it was very well wrapped. )

Thinking of trying this tonight.

Received mine last Friday very well packaged going to give it a go either tonight or tomorrow as finished work until 2nd of Jan!! :party:

I picked mine up from the post office tonight, looks like a pale ale, no labels on the bottle but it was sent in quite a distinctive box, I thought when I picked it up from the PO someone had sent me a huge Toblerone! will give it a few days to settle, might try over the weekend or on Xmas eve.
cheers to whoever sent it.

Right so here's my attempt at a review.

barleywine.JPG

Description: Barleywine - 9% ABV

Appearance: Light colour and very cloudy. Very little head however did hold to bottom of the glass.

Nose: Floral with hints of brandy or maybe sherry. Very pleasing to the senses.

Taste: Lovely warming taste again very like brandy, toffee flavours but with a bitter hit at the end. Really loving this beer, tastes great!

Overall: Having never had a barleywine before I was in new territory. Having nothing to compare to I was going in blind so to speak. The strength of the beer is noticable straight away and I'm sure that two or three of these would knock the socks off you! A very different type of drink that I am used to and I understand the "wine" connotations to the name. This beer is beatifully balanced and while the tastes are strong they do not over power and you are able to enjoy each sip to the end. Overall a really great beer 9/10! Well done :thumb:

I would really like the recipe for this so I can have a go myself, thanks for the beer :cheers:

evanvine said:
Baldbrewer said:
waiting for bloomin man flu to go away before I open it !
BEER is part of the cure!

Quality controlled medicinal weissweiss baby seems to be working, I'll supplement it with a large black grouse hot toddy :D
Sorry for deviation from topic, I'll review my received beer tomorrow evening :drink:

Hopefully we can have a new thread where all the recipes can be posted, I really want to give some of these a go. Will be nice to have a bunch of "independent" reviews before trying a recipe. More reviews, drink up! :)

Just heard that mine has arrived today! I think I may save it until maybe Christmas eve before I tuck in, should be well settled by then... :thumb:

Ok here goes, my first beer review ever!

My secret Santa sent me this:
b78195a832feb54a556bba41a7f81d3f_zpsf0624db7.jpg

Nice amount of carbonation for the style which is a a traditional bitter I think!
A lovely clear beer but am unsure of the strength as the paperwork was a bit ambiguous
Hops, water, beer! From memory.
A nice beer with a bit of hoppiness upon pouring and first mouthful.
Reminds me a bit of hook norton bitter.
Nice colouring I'm guessing Maris otter with a hint or crystal or perhaps a little caramel?
Half way down, a nice sessionable bitter , I'm guessing at 4-4.5% abv?
Merry Christmas Secret Santa! and may all your brew days be merry!

Special thanks to Rob for all his hard work :drunk:

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back