" Throwing a Paddy"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've known the phrase for most of my life, though never known it's origins or whether it had any Irish roots or was racist (though there common for a lot of racist jibes unfortunately)

I've known the phrase for most of my life, though never known it's origins or whether it had any Irish roots or was racist (though there common for a lot of racist jibes unfortunately)
Paddy has been used to describe Irish men for a long time. The 3 paddy joke's, the Irish paddy was always the stupid one ☹️

Its very simple - its very similar to "Dwarf Throwing". We round a few up on a friday night and launch them as far as we can, from a pub that sells frothy real ale. The winner wins a citation in the local news chronicle thats handed out to sleepy commuters at the local railway station - unless there's a strike on.

The last time I heard this term was when boys from the black stuff was on TV I am surprised to hear it being used today.

I recall from many years ago the term "in a paddy" or "throwing a paddy" to describe someone who was angry.
If I recall Simon Schama correctly, St Patrick was Romano British, from the region of Wales.

Lived in England and Scotland for years and thought I heard every Paddy joke thrown my way. Never heard that one before.
People are so fragile nowadays.

I have heard the saying but not for many years.
It's one of those sayings from back in the day when jokes starting "have you heard the one about the English, Irish and Scotsman" never raised an eyebrow

Last edited:
It is used a lot in Yorkshire usually applying to children when they scream and cry whilst throwing themselves on the floor etc.
I do not think that anyone I know who uses the phrase was or is aware of its true meaning.
The nearest saying used today by younger people is they had a "meltdown"

yep, got a Dublin born mam and throwing a Paddy is a phrase i grew up with. Most of my Irish family do not in the slightest get upset by being referred to as paddies...they f-kin cant really, about 30 percent of them called Paddy ;)

Latest posts

Back