" Throwing a Paddy"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That they take to Twitter to cry at the slightest chance to be offended.
It’s no different to calling a welsh man taffy or a Scots man jock. It’s designed to be offensive because it’s mainly used by an English man to show some sort or superiority over people.
It was ok to use it back when racisim was the norm on the bbc. But not so much now.

It’s no different to calling a welsh man taffy or a Scots man jock. It’s designed to be offensive because it’s mainly used by an English man to show some sort or superiority over people.
It was ok to use it back when racisim was the norm on the bbc. But not so much now.
Depends on the context. If I was messing with my mates over there and it was said in jest I seen no problem in it but if someone came out with "feckin paddy" to cause trouble then that's a different story. To be fair, in the couple of times the latter did happen my English friends always had my back. I'm assuming they understood context as well.

Depends on the context. If I was messing with my mates over there and it was said in jest I seen no problem in it but if someone came out with "feckin paddy" to cause trouble then that's a different story. To be fair, in the couple of times the latter did happen my English friends always had my back. I'm assuming they understood context as well.
Everything is contextual to a degree
The post in question referred to the phrase as “anti Irish and racially insensitive “ which when you look into the origin of it is exactly what it is. I’ve never heard the phrase before to be honest and I’ve family in Yorkshire where it seems it’s common.
But being referred to as a “paddy” in England can be nothing but racially motivated.

Don't kid yourself DJ, racism and xenophobia are still the norm, even more so than before. Even more so than ever!

But apart from that, What's wrong with calling a Jock a Jock and a Welshman a Taff (although I'm sure not every Welshman and woman was baptised in Afon Taf) I know perfectly well that the Welsh have a name for the English and I;m sure the Scots do, too. When I was in Oz, I was a Pom, and proud of it. Here, when I'm winning at a game or a drinking match, the response is "I'm not going to be beaten by a Rosbif" in French, of course. All this isn't racism, it's just the stuff that kind of oils relationships when our nations rub up against each other. A slightly disparaging word is much better than a punch on the nose and an exchange of such stuff is miles better than a riot.
That's not to say Racism isn't rife, it is. Brexit was the biggest expression and legitimisation of racism in recent times. But calling a gent from the Emerald Isle a Paddy has got nothing to do with it.

Don't kid yourself DJ, racism and xenophobia are still the norm, even more so than before. Even more so than ever!

But apart from that, What's wrong with calling a Jock a Jock and a Welshman a Taff (although I'm sure not every Welshman and woman was baptised in Afon Taf) I know perfectly well that the Welsh have a name for the English and I;m sure the Scots do, too. When I was in Oz, I was a Pom, and proud of it. Here, when I'm winning at a game or a drinking match, the response is "I'm not going to be beaten by a Rosbif" in French, of course. All this isn't racism, it's just the stuff that kind of oils relationships when our nations rub up against each other. A slightly disparaging word is much better than a punch on the nose and an exchange of such stuff is miles better than a riot.
That's not to say Racism isn't rife, it is. Brexit was the biggest expression and legitimisation of racism in recent times. But calling a gent from the Emerald Isle a Paddy has got nothing to do with it.
Ah but only a paddy would understand 😜
And I’m sure if you asked any welsh or Scots man if they found the term taffy or jock offensive I’m sure you would find a few that do.
Personally I’m not offended by it mainly because the kind of people who call all Irishmen paddy wouldn’t be around me for long
😊

Last edited:
It is use were i live to mean somone is having a tamtrum also i have a nephew called Andrew Patrick --------- and from an early age he wanted to be called Paddy, i to did not know it was a racial slur, i once work with a guy from South Africa this is were not knowing can get you in deep poo poo i walk in work one night went to changing rooms walked in and and said awreet kaffa next minute i was up against the lockers by the throat with him saying don,t ever call me that again, i now know the meaning, we went on to be good buddies, but who was being racist me or him

Everything is contextual to a degree
The post in question referred to the phrase as “anti Irish and racially insensitive “ which when you look into the origin of it is exactly what it is. I’ve never heard the phrase before to be honest and I’ve family in Yorkshire where it seems it’s common.
But being referred to as a “paddy” in England can be nothing but racially motivated.
It is still common amongst the older generation in Yorkshire but as I said I bet without looking it up very in fact almost none would not know the history of "throwing a Paddy", the word "Paddy" in itself is a derogatory term used in the whole of England in the last generation and before.
I can remember in lodging houses the signs in windows and I will say no more.
Its amazing how it was acceptable to use not shortened names of where people came from but names that had no bearing on the area or country they came from just a made up derogatory name

It is use were i live to mean somone is having a tamtrum also i have a nephew called Andrew Patrick --------- and from an early age he wanted to be called Paddy, i to did not know it was a racial slur, i once work with a guy from South Africa this is were not knowing can get you in deep poo poo i walk in work one night went to changing rooms walked in and and said awreet kaffa next minute i was up against the lockers by the throat with him saying don,t ever call me that again, i now know the meaning, we went on to be good buddies, but who was being racist me or him
Err sorry rod but it was you lol

It is still common amongst the older generation in Yorkshire but as I said I bet without looking it up very in fact almost none would not know the history of "throwing a Paddy", the word "Paddy" in itself is a derogatory term used in the whole of England in the last generation and before.
I can remember in lodging houses the signs in windows and I will say no more.
Its amazing how it was acceptable to use not shortened names of where people came from but names that had no bearing on the area or country they came from just a made up derogatory name
What’s amazing is the fact that some people still think it is acceptable.

Yet in Dad's Army they call the Scot who was the undertaker Taffy...
And,God forbid...Mr Mainwaring calls that lad "stupid boy".

I think the Scots call us English Sassanachs i have no clue or objection i don't even know what it means

I am not offended i have much more serious things to worry about.

What does Sassenach mean in Scotland?
Definition of sassenach
: a typical Englishman or something considered typical of England
often used disparagingly by Scots and Irish a dreadful Sassenach concoction— I. A. Bremner.

Latest posts

Back