" Throwing a Paddy"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah but only a paddy would understand 😜
And I’m sure if you asked any welsh or Scots man if they found the term taffy or jock offensive I’m sure you would find a few that do.
Personally I’m not offended by it mainly because the kind of people who call all Irishmen paddy wouldn’t be around me for long
😊
You're quite right, but offence is often taken while rarely given.

From a personel point of view i don't give two flying ***** what ever what anybody calls me, they can go wallow in the mire of their own self pity, my grandad on my mums side had a great take on this, he would say what folk don't know about you they will invent sounds about reet to me

Yeah, sorry. I was talking from my own point of view, but you're right.
I don’t get offended by people using the terms paddy or Mick anymore as I rarely hear them now. When I spent time in London not that very long ago we were always referred to as the “paddy’s” or the “micks” and always to our faces. We were turned away from a few pubs simply for being Irish. This was in the 90’s.
Thank god it’s not the same now. I couldn’t afford to go to a pub in London 😂

I remember that too, but it didn't say Paddies; it was "No Irish, no blacks, no dogs". Now that's racist.
I was trying to get to thats why the Irish got derogatory names as they were classed as undesirables, sorry should have added that bit on athumb..

I was trying to get to thats why the Irish got derogatory names as they were classed as undesirables, sorry should have added that bit on athumb..
That followed to the states as well with NINA (no Irish need apply) signs going up. It’s thought it was started by British ex pats and their bigotry toward the Irish.

After i got married we had an Irish doctor John Lester Lewis for 30 years until he retired, i asked one day were in Ireland he was from he said Dublin i said i have been there it's a great place his reply was, it was falling down when i left, he was a great doctor only had time for kids and the elderly, i used to get him a bottle of bushmills every Christmas

I’ve never heard anyone here call an English person any of those terms.
I went to a school where there plenty of Irish descent and they used the term sassenach. Australians commonly used the term (whingeing) Poms even in my presence. It never bothered me.

I often had Jocks calling me a Sassenach ******* - we just carried on drinking and having a laugh as we all took the p*ss out of each other down the pub. Life was simple 20/30/40 years ago, racism never came into the equation, finding a great group of friends is key.

In 2017, LBC reported that the 'throwing a paddy' phrase comes from "the slightly rude reference to Irish-ness, a historical reference to the Irish complaints about English oppression"

Imagine having the audacity to complain about something as well meaning, friendly and downright decent as oppression!

I went to a school where there plenty of Irish descent and they used the term sassenach. Australians commonly used the term (whingeing) Poms even in my presence. It never bothered me.
Yeah, Brits abroad do tend to whinge about things being different. It's embarrassing sometimes. I don't know whether other nationalities do it as well.

How can you tell that a recently arrived plane has come from London?
You can still hear the whine long after the engines have shut down.

Pretty much sums up Oz humour.
Courtesy of Australia and New Zealand Homebrew Forum, continuing jokes thread.

Yeah, Brits abroad do tend to whinge about things being different. It's embarrassing sometimes. I don't know whether other nationalities do it as well.
I believe so. I went to Thailand with a group of guys 20 years ago. They wouldn't eat any of the local food, only ate McDonald's and then complained that it wasn't the same as back home. I couldn't get enough of the Thai food and still remember the Micky D's Samurai pork burger 😂

I am Welsh and had a Welsh aunt named Patricia, always known as Paddy. As far as I know nobody ever tried to throw her.
My mother in law is named Patricia, but has always since childhood been known as Paddy, It would be a brave man who tried to throw her!

Back