" Throwing a Paddy"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larne is the kind of place in Northern Ireland where you can have either of 3 identities British , northern Irish or Irish.
I have just never heard anyone from here say the phrase in question.
Oh shes def northern Irish but identifies as Irish rather than British being from a cathholic family.

There have been a few things she said or used to say which I gathered were more local sayings. SOmething like and I may be wrong on this she used to call the shopping "messages"

I have never heard it in my life time. Some context to the original statement. The phrase throwing a paddy was used by the BBC journalist. This was the week after the Irish women's team got slaughtered for singing Rebel song's after winning a match.
Personally I feel the BBC are very bias on what they report. Dan Walton from sky sports interviewed the captain after the incident, it was very poor.
The song in question was Celtic symphony by the Wolfe Tone's. In typical Irish humour the song made it to number 1 in the Irish and UK music chart's the following week.

Oh shes def northern Irish but identifies as Irish rather than British being from a cathholic family.

There have been a few things she said or used to say which I gathered were more local sayings. SOmething like and I may be wrong on this she used to call the shopping "messages"
The messages was used in my house 😂😂
Haven't heard that in a while

Ha ha ha. Yep going shopping is going for the messages. Ask her if she was starving would she be hungry or cold

Life was simple 20/30/40 years ago, racism never came into the equation, finding a great group of friends is key.

More a case of racists didn't think of themselves as racists back then i can remember watching this on TV back in 1972, this was the pilot episode.

I have never heard it in my life time. Some context to the original statement. The phrase throwing a paddy was used by the BBC journalist. This was the week after the Irish women's team got slaughtered for singing Rebel song's after winning a match.
Personally I feel the BBC are very bias on what they report. Dan Walton from sky sports interviewed the captain after the incident, it was very poor.
The song in question was Celtic symphony by the Wolfe Tone's. In typical Irish humour the song made it to number 1 in the Irish and UK music chart's the following week.
In fairness to womens soccer team, most young people use that phrase tongue firmly stuck in cheek.
I personally like the Rubber Bandits version

In fairness to womens soccer team, most young people use that phrase tongue firmly stuck in cheek.
I personally like the Rubber Bandits version

Most of the “young wans” that sing along to that don’t even know what they are singing they think it’s a World Cup anthem for the Ireland football team ffs

More a case of racists didn't think of themselves as racists back then i can remember watching this on TV back in 1972, this was the pilot episode.

A mainstream TV channel, ITV (not that there were many alternative independent choices in those days) funded a sitcom designed to reflect the feelings of the country?

About as believable as their representation of the feelings of the country nowadays, not much changes on the telescreen! If anything, current day wokeness appears to be more divisive and racist than it ever was, despite that fact that we have removed racism from so many places in the UK - the cognitive dissonance is strong in the mainstream (I think this may be by design).

I believe so. I went to Thailand with a group of guys 20 years ago. They wouldn't eat any of the local food, only ate McDonald's and then complained that it wasn't the same as back home. I couldn't get enough of the Thai food and still remember the Micky D's Samurai pork burger 😂
As a USNavy man, I couldn't get over shipmates who talked about 'these foreigners' while standing in Portsmouth, or Naples, or Morocco, or Bahrain, or ....

They always went to the bars with the American names. Texas Joes, or California Sundowners, or Manhatten Mikes. <-sheesh->

As a USNavy man, I couldn't get over shipmates who talked about 'these foreigners' while standing in Portsmouth, or Naples, or Morocco, or Bahrain, or ....

They always went to the bars with the American names. Texas Joes, or California Sundowners, or Manhatten Mikes. <-sheesh->
Sure Irish people can't stay out of an Irish bar when we're on holidays... We gravitate to them 😂

Back