What razor do you use.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooooo missed the point.
Razorpit so you sharpen them, are you pleased with the result?

I started out, trying to sharpen and gave up.

I’ve being using a Mach 3 for a good few years, yes the blades are horribly overpriced and I am now rather interested in the ‘Razorpit‘ mentioned by Nashbrew but on the whole it works, it gives a clean shave and doesn’t leave my face a bleeding mess.

I've been using the usual Gillette for many years and though they're very pricy but I found a blade lasts for ages on me...maybe I have soft bum-fluffy whiskers, however in the last year or so I've not been getting anywhere near the life out of them (seems to have been a drop in quality) and it is now getting very pricy so have actually just got a decent electric shaver. Game changer....close enough shave, but alot less hassle than wet shaving especially if I'm away from home. Life is just too short.

I’ve got quite a few.
Gillette Fatboy adjustable from 1961
Gillette Slim adjustable from 1964
Merkur 34C Heavy Duty
Merkur slant bar
Fatip Picolo
Supply SE
and a couple of straight razor, DE blade of choice is Gillette 7 O Clock sharp edge. And I use a Gillett Guard from India for shaving my head.

Last edited:
Ages ago I moved back to a nice double edge razor and Derby blades.

Stunning shave, pleasure to use and a fraction of the price.

What are you guys using?

Double edge and Personna Platinum blades. When I moved to double-edge, I had no idea why anyone bought cartridges. Shave is much much better and it's dirt cheap.

The last time I bought blades I got 100 for £14.00 so 14p each, I only use a blade twice so 7p per shave, some people use for 4 or 5 shaves so even cheaper.

The last time I bought blades I got 100 for £14.00 so 14p each, I only use a blade twice so 7p per shave, some people use for 4 or 5 shaves so even cheaper.
Use a blade twice? Mine last about a month, probably more. I honestly can't remember when I last bought blades - but it was probably over 2 years ago. I change them when the begin to get a bit uncomfortable to shave with. Definitely a Gilette razor, can't remember which flavour though.

Phillips electric job. Since lock down and now that I'm on a 3/2 work from home pattern I tend not to shave from Thursday until Monday as I'm either working from home or it's the weekend.

I use Wahl hair clippers without an end to get my "stubbly old bloke" look.
If we are out somewhere posh, then I got some cheap Lidl dual blade disposables somewhere.

And on/near my birthday I might treat myself at the turkish barbers 😃

I hate shaving. Once a week I use the trimmer bit on an electric to hack off what I need to...

I also hate wet shaving i always seem to cut myself whatever razor i use so i switched to a Braun foil ages ago i am happy with the job it does and i now keep on top of it which i didnt used to when wet shaving.

Last edited:
I use a double edged razor, I alternate between a Merkur 34C and a Merkur Futur.

I’ve got a few different blades but most often use a Voskhod blade which gives a really smooth shave. Tend to use the blades 2 or 3 times each.

I spent a fair bit a few years ago on razors, blades, brushes soaps etc, but I’ve not spent a penny on shaving for at least 5 years now.

Back