What razor do you use.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a double edged razor, I alternate between a Merkur 34C and a Merkur Futur.

I’ve got a few different blades but most often use a Voskhod blade which gives a really smooth shave. Tend to use the blades 2 or 3 times each.

I spent a fair bit a few years ago on razors, blades, brushes soaps etc, but I’ve not spent a penny on shaving for at least 5 years now.

I got some Gillette ones with the razor itself and they were good. Got some Wilkinson Sword blades and just ended up with loads of nicks. Tried some Feather blades and they seemed to need a few passes and blunted quite quickly. Then went to the Personna Platinum and have found them excellent. Really close shave and minimal effort to go through even quite heavy growth. Can get 4/5 shaves out of them no bother.

How do you find the Merkurs?

Reactions: Moe
I got some Gillette ones with the razor itself and they were good. Got some Wilkinson Sword blades and just ended up with loads of nicks. Tried some Feather blades and they seemed to need a few passes and blunted quite quickly. Then went to the Personna Platinum and have found them excellent. Really close shave and minimal effort to go through even quite heavy growth. Can get 4/5 shaves out of them no bother.

I love them.

The 34C gives a smooth shave so I use that most. The Futur is adjustable so I tend to use that when I’ve got longer stubble. Only issue with that I one though is it’s quite chunky so hard to get under your nose.

I couldn’t get on with Feathers either, found they ripped my face to shreds. I have them to my stepdad though and he loves them!

Absolutely- I got them on eBay a few years ago, was less than a tenner for 100 so I bought 200!

Weirdly I find the second shave off a blade better than the first? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know that's the case with the Platinums. Coating comes off with first shave, and second shave the blade is insanely sharp. I'd imagine it's the same thing going on with your blades.

Reactions: Moe
I used to use the Gillette ones that came with 15 or so blades and a razor for £20 and it would last the best part of a year if I hid the blades well (4 daughters with 2 legs each and equal amount of armpits that use them when they could find them) but last time I was in Tesco I seen a Wilkinson one with 20 blades for £15 and it’s a really good shave with the 5 in each blade.
I have to shave every morning and if I’m going out that night I need a going over to get rid of stubble.
If only my hair would grow the same 🫣

Last edited:
Pre-beard, it was a daily shave with double edged. I started off with a 34C before ‘graduating’ to an iKon B1 OSS dual head. I liked Astra Stainless blades or any of the other rebranded Gillette options. I also couldn’t get on with Feather blades, must be my baby soft face skin.

This is a brilliant question.. I tried a few Merkurs. Not for me. And a feather - beautiful thing, but not too aggressive. Although I perhaps should have tried it for a bit longer.

I now use an Edwin Jagger head, with Derby blades. Marvellous shave.
I find their handles too shiney, in the shower, so it's on a heavy stainless "above the knot" handle.

Did anyone what try sputnik blades...

R89 head on a solid handle from exec shaving. Works well, simple and solid.
Rex Envoy - a little more aggressive, phenomenally grippy handle and nicely engineered.
One blade hybrid - single edge, works well but odd to have a floating blade.
Gillette sensor excel if travelling.
Also an old Phillishave that seems reluctant to cut the grey hairs.

Aldi 5 blade - works out about £1.25 a blade, not cheap but pretty much on a par with Gillette / Wilkinson Sword. Far better than the face rippers of the past and last at least a month.

This is a brilliant question.. I tried a few Merkurs. Not for me. And a feather - beautiful thing, but not too aggressive. Although I perhaps should have tried it for a bit longer.

I find their handles too shiney, in the shower, so it's on a heavy stainless "above the knot" handle.

The handle of my Gillette is slippy. That's probably the only thing I can level at it. I'm going to settle on the Platinums I think. I don't know if my hair is just too coarse for the Feather.

Aldi 5 blade - works out about £1.25 a blade, not cheap but pretty much on a par with Gillette / Wilkinson Sword. Far better than the face rippers of the past and last at least a month.

Get onto a double edge. You'll never look back. Dirt cheap, great shave, and they don't get clogged. I even got Mrs DD2 onto them.

Gillette Slim Adjustable mid 60’s with Gillette 7 O’Clock blades - but rarely, I wear a beard most of the time.

Most of my shaving is with an old Gillette Mach 3, shaving my head in the shower. Biggest and best change for me was moving to shaving soap. I buy boxes of Arko shaving sticks, I find them to be excellent and cheap as chips.

Another double edged razor user here and enjoyed this thread. I have a couple of Edwin Jagger DE89's and generally use astra platinum blades, tried others including feathers a few times but always go back to trusty Astra's. I used to suffer quite badly with razor burn before moving to a DE razor but not suffered in years since ... But moving to a DE razor also coincided with using better shaving cream and a brush rather than foam from a can. I would highly recommend a DE razor to everyone and would never go back to cartridges.

I have fancied getting a vintage Gillette a few times and this thread has peaked my interest again 😎

Double edge with Astra blades. Originally got a trial pack with loads of different blades and settled on Astra for me.

Arko soap and under strict orders not to change from swmbo

Yes, I’ve got some of them- I really like them too.

Most of the Russian blades ( Voskhod, Sputnik, rapira etc) are really good and give a really smooth shave

Latest posts

Back