Where is the softest water?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See the attached PDF for a view of what I'm talking about. Where it rains a lot, the water is typically soft. The scenery is often nicer in those places too.

xUIEWuM.png

I'm in the east so I've just been down to Tesco for 30 litres of Ashbeck for this weekends brewing.
Yet I live right in the middle of a soft water area in Ormskirk and my water is piped from sources on the river Dee and ground water sources, so mine is hard. It pays to check water supplier reports for the postcode.

I'm in South Manchester and can confirm that the water (United Utilities) is very soft. I can do Pilsners out of the tap and make additions for pretty much everything else.

My Brewfather water profile is as follows:

Ca+2 (9)
Mg+2 (1)
Na+ (6)
Cl- (11)
SO4 (18)
HCO3 (21)
I just had my water tested as my pH is always low, think I need a better meter.

My water is basically the same as yours, just drop the SO4 below 10 mg/l.

Soft water is great, so much easier adding salts than trying to dilute them or strip out carbonates, although carbonates aren't too hard to treat I believe.

It just hit me today that if/when I move to the UK, I'll be giving up my nearly softest water in the world tapwater. So, if I want to keep my soft tapwater but live over there, what city/town/village should I be looking at?
Take a move to Derry and you'll be grand...
Screenshot_20201004_211201_com.android.chrome.jpg

Here in gowerton, the water is so soft no dishwasher salt is required. all our dishwashers had to be set to 0 from the default of 1 or 2. However welsh water have added chloramine instead of chlorine a good 4-5 years ago so a campden tablet is required if you want to use tap water. Or for 17p for 2 liters just buy bottled. And live where you like. I love chase spring bottled water - available in most major supermarkets. There's also sheply spring bottled water for the same price, but cant remember which supermarket sells that.

A guide on how to add pictures to posts - How to add a picture to a post.

I use postimage and have for ages no registration required - Postimages — free image hosting / image upload
Eventually seem to get it working (random hammering keyboard, guide didn't help):
(original pdf converted to jpg, "https://i.postimg.cc/fytF656v/hardness-map-page-001.jpg" used in "Insert Image"). I think I've forgotten why I wanted it now.
hardness-map-page-001.jpg

Got nowhere with @foxbat's guide. Still, got a bigger image displayed ... for however long they'll host it.

Guess it's missed the boat now?

Latest posts

Back