Fermenting fridge - questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robbo100 said:
I believe the STC1000 can only go down to 12 deg?
It can go down to at least -2C as I've set that to lager.

Can you easily change the temperature profile on your controller? You are likely to want to set the temperature based on the gravity.

At the moment you can't adjust the profile once it has started using the device itself, but you can easily do it using another PC on your network and about 20 key presses on your keyboard.

For version 2 of the software (which to be honest, might actually become version 1), I plan to add the following features.

- step back or forwards through the days to delay or accelerate the fermentation schedule.

- increase or decrease temperature for the current day

- revert to the setup mode to review or adjust the whole schedule (if you want to change the number of days, you will need to re-enter the whole schedule, but if you just want to change some of the temps the system will allow you to do this selectively).

Quick Update on Progress

I have been having problems with the software crashing, so I have had to do some more work on error handling and also to create a error logging function that writes the error to a file for review (needed because I have no monitor attached to the RPi).

Hopefully I will be able to track down the problem and fix it in the next couple of days, and then run the first full trial run on the Fridge.

Unfortunately, the ebay supplier sent me the wrong connectors, so I can't actually connect the device to the fridge or heater yet anyway, so delays all round.

Should be looking good for next week. :party:

Right then!

V1 is finished, and it works.

Below is a screen-shot of the temperature logging results. The fridge was turned on with the fluid in the FV at just over 8 deg C, as was the fridge air temperature (it had been left overnight switched off in the cold garage).

Key:
Green Line = Target Wort Temp (20 Deg C)
Blue Line = Actual Wort Temp
Purple Line = Target Fridge Air Temperature (driven by a simple control law within the software)
Yellow Line = Actual Fridge Air Temperature
Pink and Light Green Lines at the bottom = Fridge and Heater status (respectively).

1ee44a5d-e306-43f6-91f3-c65bcf476092_zps08a77ee8.png

As you can see, the temperature is brought Asymptoticly to the target temperature.

I noticed a slight error in the code which is allowing the cycling of the heater too regularly (as shown once the air temp and target air temp become consistent), which I have since fixed.

I have got a test schedule running, which will vary the Wort Temp over the next couple of days, so I will show the results as they appear (if people are still interested?)

Cheers

Robbo100

Hi Robo,
I'm still interested, keep on posting. On a side note, I use a boot dryer connected to a thermostat in the fridge for carbing my bottles and it works fantastically. It's low wattage and brings the temperature to target in literally minutes and with 4 hose ducts can be directed to different areas.

Thanks Gordon.

Can you post a photo of what you are describing please. It sounds interesting.

uqevu4uj.jpg

It doesn't look pretty but it works a treat, it's 300w and not particularly hot, it comes on for about 2 minutes every hour or two max.

OK, I have fixed the hysteresis values, and tuned the control, and the results are below.

This graph shows some cold water, going into the Fridge with target wort temperature of 20 Deg C. Once stable, the target wort temperature is reduced to 15 Deg C. As you can tell by the heater activity, the garage air temperature is well below 15.

Once stabilised, the measured wort temperature is easily within 0.2 Deg C of target continuously, which is pretty impressive, even if I do so myself! :clap:

d6270ecc-1420-4bca-a99f-284f19d14425_zps1cb31e0f.png

Key:
Green Line = Target Wort Temp (20 Deg C)
Blue Line = Actual Wort Temp
Purple Line = Target Fridge Air Temperature (driven by a simple control law within the software)
Yellow Line = Actual Fridge Air Temperature
Pink and Light Green Lines at the bottom = Fridge and Heater status (respectively).

P.S. I had the data logging rate set very high for the first half of the trace, hence the apparent change in the heater cycling wave-form.

This will be my last boring graph (if anyone is still awake).

This one shows a 5 day cycle running, with the last day being a crash cool to 3 deg C. You should be able to see, that the Fridge's own thermostat gets in the way of the cooling efficiency, but it still manages to reach the 3 deg nicely and maintian within 0.06 deg!

72b3a517-c070-420a-8b9f-e13720f17b23_zps97f63f0c.png

I think I am now ready to test some wort...

Just got to wait a few weeks for a brew-day opportunity!

Robbo100

Rob

Any chance you can share the code for the fridge control, I would be interested in looking into using it.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back