Home Brew Competition - April 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it genuinely was a tough one to call and all beers were of a very good standard. I'll get individual feedback to everyone tomorrow but for now the top 3 are:

1st place Grizzly299 - Triple Topaz

2nd place IainM 'Bitter'

3rd place Dad's Ale On The House

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well chuffed with third place :)

Thanks to theKitchInn and will post the recipe up soon.

Cheers

Oops :) well done Grizzly and Iain. Looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Thanks all it's been a good day! Completed the Bristol 10k run in an hour and 17 secs and first place here :mrgreen: I'll get the recipe up when I get home.

We'll done @IainM and @Dads_Ale and thanks for taking the time to try all of our brews @TheKitchInn .

Thanks to everyone who helps to organise the competitions on a monthly basis. Without the feedback from the competition my brewing would surely suffer.

Wahey! Thanks KitchInn, glad you liked it. I got married yesterday, and then this today. A good weekend! I can take no credit for the recipe though, as I nicked it straight from Brewing Classic Styles. Congrats Dad's Ale and Grizzly.

Congrats everyone, on achievements both beery and non-beery! After a busy afternoon in the garden I've sat down with a well earned pint of my entry, cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the recipe and some additional notes from my brew calculator recipe sheet output;

The first hop addition was a first wort hop addition, meaning the hops were in the kettle as I bought it up to the boil and during the sparging process.

Rehydrate and pitch x2 sachets of Danstar London ESB Yeast. Ferment at 18 degrees C for 3 weeks in the primary fermenter. Bottle or keg and carbonate to 1.5 volumes of C02.

This recipe is my own, and I made it after some considerable research into the bitter style.

Have fun :thumb:

P.S I will advise that the water quantities are particular to my system, you may need to adjust them to fit your system and its own losses etc. The strike temperature is also based on a pre-warmed mash tun so make sure you take that into account.

Triple Topaz.jpg

Here is the recipe I used.

20L batch
4.3kg MO
0.23kg crystal
115g brown
0.23kg aromatic
60 min mash @ 65C
34g EKG (5%) @ 60min
14g EKG (5%) @ 20min
14g EKG (5%) @ flameout
WLP002 English Ale, 1.5L starter
1.046 to 1.007

I actually did this as a 16L maxi-BIAB on the stove top and topped it up in the fv.

Congratulations to the winners :thumb:

@Dads_ale could you post your reciepe up somewhere (if you havent already) and I'll copy it to the competion winners reciepe thread. Thanks :hat:

Third Place recipe:

for 31 lts in FV

Pale malt - 3.7kg
Wheat malt - 1.2kg
Crystal Malt - 220g
Roast Barley - 50g

Fuggles leaf - 25g - 60mins
Fuggles leaf - 10g - 15mins
Styrian Goldings leaf - 10g - 15mins
Irish Moss - 3g - 15mins
Fuggles leaf - 10g - 0mins
Styrian Goldings leaf - 10g - 0mins