steam extraction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Everready

Reaction score
As title really, what do people do to get rid of the steam while boiling ?

I'll be doing my brews in a brick shed so will have no windows just a single door. I can't find a cheap chimney extractor hood which would probalbly be the easiest option.

I was thinking on fitting a kitchen extractor fan like http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-axial ... fan/11640# and fashioning a hood out of something or other. Or would a simple ducting hose like http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-cooke ... 00mm/13076 do the job ?

There was a discussion a while back about using a garden bin incinerator lid (the ones with the hole in the middle) attached to some ducting. It was concluded IIRC that just some ducting would be the more sensible option from the hygienic point of view. If you could find a shower room extractor fan and attach the ducting to this and then rig up the other end of the ducting to above the boiler.

A cooker hood would do much the same thing but for vastly more expense

I use a kitchen extractor and it works really well.

I got mine in Wickes earlier in the year, at the time it was £39.99, but I think they have gone up again now.

Heres a little piccy from the most recent brew day

DSCF0463.jpg

I assume that that has ducting to the outside Steve ? I've had a look at chimney hoods and they're £60 +. :(

If you look at 'Barnsley Brewers' kit, he uses a plastic bowl attached to a steam tube from a tumble dryer. He's got some pictures somewhere.

Mr.Everready said:
I assume that that has ducting to the outside Steve ? I've had a look at chimney hoods and they're £60 +. :(

Yes, that has ducting to outside, I've not had any condensation drip back into the boiler from this set up.

Aleman said:
Boil near the door and have a couple of Big fans sat inside blowing steam out the door :whistle: :whistle:

The shed will only have 1 single door, I'd need some big assed fans to push the steam out of it I think. :D Plus, where I live, the wind does get rather strong at times. I'd rather not leave the door open if possible.

I took my design from BB and then pimped it.

Its a Metal SS bowl with the bottom cut out. This sits on the pot lid which has had large holes cut into the middle of it. Ducting is attached to the hole in the bottom of the bowl and the other end is pushed 3 metres away through a window (suspended via hooks on the walls and celling). I have fitted a bathroom extractor fan halfway along the ducting to help things on their way.

Its very good at sucking up the steam but lots of condensation gets stuck in the ducting so I have a deliberate dip in it to catch the water and make sure it doesnt run back out into the brew.

After brewing I hang it up and all the water runs out into a bucket.

Whole thing cost around £10 and works very well.

GN

pjbiker said:
If you look at 'Barnsley Brewers' kit, he uses a plastic bowl attached to a steam tube from a tumble dryer. He's got some pictures somewhere.
This is my set-up, works great :thumb: ..... When the pipe gets hot I allow it to dip in the middle to collect all the condensate.
You could also make an hole for it to drip into a container!!

NewBoiler-1.jpg

BB

How could I do a similar thing with a polyprop bucket though ? :hmm:

It also seems that I've been getting my sucking and blowing mixed up. The fan i linked too above, the grille goes on the inside ( dunno why, but I thought that was the outside ). If I do need a fan I'll need to attach the ducting hose to the face of the fan or fit an inline fan which dont shift as much air for alot more ££££.

If I can't get a sealed lid ( like above ) will a simple hood ( made from a box or builder bucket ) with some ducting in to it work ok or will it all be trial and error ?

I wouldnt worry too much about a sealed lid. I often use mine about 1 foot above the pot at times when stiring and inspecting are needed and it still works fine. Sucks up all the steam.

So by the looks of it a fan helps but its not a necessity ? I may just go for some 4" ducting then and make a hood out of "something" :lol:

Latest posts

Back