Growling Dog Brewery Upgrade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runwell-Steve

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've joined this forum looking for some help in the upgrade of my Brewery, and of course so I could get some Silicon Hose from Vossy.

It would be only right to hve a running thread showing what I am doing.

My old brewery was a standard plastic bucket set up heated with Immersion elements and a Coolbox Mash Tun. This has worked well and got me into All Grain, but the shiny stuff was too tempting.

The old brewery set up was fairly straight forward in my garage. The biggest concern was the proximity of the boiler to the electric meters and fuse box, all that steam can't be healthy.

DSCF0296.jpg

After a bit of a change round, and a bit of shopping I have got this far.

DSCF0319.jpg

The HLT is a 70 Litre shiny pot up on the shelf which will be heated by a 3kW Immersion heater, I will have direct plumbing so I can fill this direct with hot Water from the Combi Boiler to save time heating all the water up.

The Mash Tun is a 50 Litre shiny Thermopot, which I wil be converting as per Alemans excellent instructions.

The Boiler is another 70 Litre shiny pot which will sit on a Gas Ring for heating.

For steam extraction I am going to put a Stainless chimney hood extracter on the wall above the boiler, I got one from Wickes for 40 quid so if it doesn't work I can change it for something else, but if it does work it will be a result.

I have a March May pump which I will be using to pump the Wort from the Mash Tun into the boiler.

I have lots of bits yet to do to make this work, but it's getting there.

Nice looking set up. I particularly like the kegs naturally airing I put my bottles of beer on the garage floor next to the garage doors works a treat to keep them at ambient serving temp.

Mash Tun building today.

I would first like to say a BIG Thankyou to Aleman for detailing how to do this.

This is the Mash Tun all completed

DSCF0326.jpg

A picture of the inside

DSCF0324.jpg

And a picture of the underside

DSCF0320.jpg

It all went together remarkably easily and there are no leaks. All I need to do now is spray some expanding foam in there to fill the gaps and re insulate it.

It's all finished and ready to brew, the last few connections done today with 15mm push fit compression fittings as temporary connectors.

DSCF0328.jpg

I have done a quick test run with water and it all seems to be working fine, no leaks etc..

Tomorrow is brew day, just need a recipe.

If you look carefully you will see the old brewing vessels looking dejected in the corner behind the bottle tree. I once thought they were the bees knees :)

Brew day tomorrow, aiming for 46 Litres

The recipe as follows

Captains Log Ale

Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Colour (SRM): 5.8 (EBC): 11.4
Bitterness (IBU): 42.7 (Average)

91.84% Golden Promise Malt
5.1% Caramalt
3.06% Wheat Malt

1.3 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with S-O4

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Nice job. Thats the kind of setup im aiming for. What pump are you useing and how much was it and where did you get it from please.

Good luck with the maiden voyage tomorrow :thumb:

Latest posts

Back