lowicz wine question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wigwamheed

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey, I got some of the lowicz syrup with the intention of making a wine. I was just gonna use a litre of grape juice, a bottle of the syrup and 800 g of sugar and topping up with water for 5 litres. Would this work or would I need to use more juice?

That'll be way too strong mate. For me half a bottle in a gallon is about right. The syrops are really high in sugar as well so double check your sugar content. What ABV are you looking for?

The bottle I've got says 65g of sugar per 100ml, so a bottle is about 286g sugar by my reconing. Then you'll need to add the sugar content in your grape juice too.

No worries. I tried a full bottle of the syrop in 1 gallon ad it smelled great, but when the fermentation stopped it was not plesant, way too much syrop for my taste. I ended up splitting it into DJs and topping up with juice and going for a secondary fermetation which is just about done and tastes a whole lot better

wigwamheed said:
Hey, I got some of the lowicz syrup with the intention of making a wine. I was just gonna use a litre of grape juice, a bottle of the syrup and 800 g of sugar and topping up with water for 5 litres. Would this work or would I need to use more juice?

I have a red recipe planned but not started using the syrups.

1x 440 ml bottle of the blackcurrant syrup
4 litres RGJ
250 g sugar

That gives a total sugar of just shy of 1.2 kg. Or I may substitute some of the blackcurrant for a little strawberry (roughly 3:1 bc:st) whilst keeping the volume of cordial at 440 ml.

I don't personally see the point in using water in a recipe when RGJ and WGJ are relatively cheap.

It was mostly because I only had one rgj in and wanted to get it on, I put some glycerine in to try and avoid it becoming too thin tasting, I guess time will tell.

Let us know how the all juice one comes out I would have done that if I'd had enough in stock

Latest posts

Back