Corny's...how do you clean yours

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
I thought it might be interesting to see the differences in brewers approaches to cleaning their corny's...here's what I do.

Take a corny, release any pressure via the PRV, and remove all the fittings and place in a bucket.
Using a 22-24mm ring spanner to remove the posts

Lid
Unscrew the PRV from the lid
Remove the o-ring from the lid

Remove the poppet

Dip Tubes
Remove the o-rings
Place 'gas in' tube in bucket.
Clean 'out tube' with a special cleaning brush on the inside and a scrubby sponge on the outside.

Add 2 tsbs of an oxyclean type cleaner to the bucket and add boiling water to cover the parts, leave t'ill clean.
Rinse with fresh water and inspect for dirt

Add 2.5mls of iodophor solution to said bucket and add 2ltrs of water, stir, add corny parts.

To the corny add 2 tbsp of oxyclean type cleaner and 1.5 ltrs of boiling water. Using a pair of long BBcue tongues with a scrubby sponge locked into the jaws clean the inside of the corny, paying special attention to the upper 'hidden' areas.
Rinse with fresh water and inspect for dirt.

Re-assemble the corny, taking the parts directly from the iodophor solution. I give the 'out tube' a good rinsing on it's outer with the iodophor solution also.

Once assembled tip the iodophor solution from the bucket into the corny and seal with the lid.
Pressurise the corny with C02 lightly. Use a out connector and attach to the out post biefly until iodophor spurts out, then take the connector off quickly, this floods the out tube with iodophor solution.
I then give the corny a good swilling, a shake, and lie it on its side, turning every minute until all the sides have been soaked. I also up-end it for 1 min.
Release the pressure from the corny via the prv, remove the lid and disguard the iodophor. Add some boiling water to the corny, swill, shake and pour out.
Attach the lid to the corny, but leave open, attach a C02 source via the out port and push C02 into the corny for 20 seconds, venting to atmosphere via the open lid. Close the lid, open the PRV, and continue pushing C02 through the corny for a further 20 seconds. Close off the C02 valve and shut the PRV.

Now my corny is ready to be filled :cool:

How do you do yours ?

Bang & it's gone!

(i'll delete this in a bit :lol: )

Nice one Vossy.

I cleaned my first one the other day and I did pretty much what you've got up there. Except I can get my arm in :party:

I'm already wondering if Norm's got any more soon... two definately isn't enough.

I do the posts and dip tube every three brews and basically just clean with water and a sponge and sterilise with starsan everytime. I never had a problem so far :)

Took mine to bits for first brew and scrubbed everything and chucked popets, lid, seals etc into a Videne solution. Gave the keg a good wash in the shower with washing-up liquid and lots of water and sponge (yes I know, not the conventional method as I have no Oxy-Clean). Rinsed Cornie throughly, reassembled, added two litres of Videne solution, pressured, pumped out through serving tap, removed lid and left to drain, pressured, purged, pressured, racked beer to Cornie.

For the two brews it's had in since I have merely washed with washing-up liquid again and a sponge and rinsed well with no removal of posts or dip-tubes (and yes, I can get my arm in, JUST), chucked lid and tap in Videne with seal, added 2 litres Videne solution, shake like mad (with lid replaced of course) then gas up and purge solution through tap leaving rest to drain with lid off.

Every fourth brew I intend to dismantle everything but so far my 'lazy' way hasn't caused me any problems at all. :)

so far my 'lazy' way hasn't caused me any problems at all.

That's all that counts at the end of the day :cool:
I started using oxyclean type cleaner as I thought it was residue free.....wrong :roll:
I think I'll carry on using it as it's only a quid from the pound shop, but I'd have no qualms about using washing up liquid :cool:

I'm just a bit loathe to remove posts and seals that are a known good seal against CO2 leakage. I do have a spare set just in case but I'd rather save the hassle where possible as a brewday in itself is a good 6 hours for me and if I can cut a corner and save myself a bit of work then so be it.

Risky strategy maybe when you stand to lose a keg of hard toiled over brew (not to mention cost) but then knowing my luck I'll disturb a seal and lose a CO2 tank. I will however endeavour to strip them every fourth brew, even I realise that my laxsadaisical methods will no doubt bite my ass eventually. :)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I must be f-ing lucky. I rinse mine a couple of times. Sanitise them during which i may let a bit flow out of each post. Usually i forget. Rinse them a couple of times and wahey! :party:

I may give them a bit more of a clean now though. Vossy makes me feel kinda 'lazy' at times... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Vossy1 said:
The question, grasshopper, is, where do you stop :lol: :cool:

here

It's a 4 barrel plant from Dave Porter. Gets installed on Monday. :D

Heh. It's not just mine, but I'm involved with it.

Anyone know where I can get 144 cornys? :lol:

i'm the same as you MEB.

seem to have gotten away with it for over a year now though :pray: but there's always the first time :roll:

BrewStew said:

Like the opening page, but you might wanna spell unusual correctly for that more professional edge ;) :lol:

edit: i thought that red underline was my browser spotting the typo, did you do that deliberately?

The web designer is an idiot and needs shouting at.

We did know about it.

What's worse - That's actually a paper flyer (which are all spelt correctly) and it it looks like he's just taken a screenshot of the flyer in whatever DTP package he was using and put that up. Did you notice the green squiggly for the word not in the dictionary?

oh yeah, the green gammar lines! :lol:

well it's a start, better to have something rather than nothing eh? ;)

but yeah on second inspection i think you're right about the screenshot. looks like they did it in word!

BrewStew said:
oh yeah, the green gammar lines! :lol:

well it's a start, better to have something rather than nothing eh? ;)

We've got orders for the first lot of beer so we're alright.

Anyway, this is Wrexham. We've only just got electricity, let alone the internet :D

No way! Wrexham's got electricity now? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back