Guinness Golden Ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryF

Brew Numpty
Reaction score
I came across this in the supermarket today and having been a Guinness drinker for 35 years I just couldn't resist it. Guinness Golden Ale, I really would have expected better from Guinness but then again ale is not really their forte. No head, no lacing on the glass, it does have a hoppy burnt barley taste but it did lack depth of flavour and it was not to my taste, there is very little carbonation, hence no head. All in all very disappointing and I certainly wont be buying another one. I've always liked the Guinness products, excluding of course the stout brewed under license in the Caribbean, 7.5% and the Nigerian, 9% (awful stuff) but I think this shows that they really should stick to stouts and porters as that's what they're good at, I think they should leave the ales to the more established ale producers and stick to the market they know.

20150503_202137.jpg

Apologies but this post really does not fit the criteria of the thread name. I came across this in the supermarket today and having been a Guinness drinker for 35 years I just couldn't resist it. Guinness Golden Ale, I really would have expected better from Guinness but then again ale is not really their forte. No head, no lacing on the glass, it does have a hoppy burnt barley taste but it did lack depth of flavour and it was not to my taste, there is very little carbonation, hence no head. All in all very disappointing and I certainly wont be buying another one. I've always liked the Guinness products, excluding of course the stout brewed under license in the Caribbean, 7.5% and the Nigerian, 9% (awful stuff) but I think this shows that they really should stick to stouts and porters as that's what they're good at, I think they should leave the ales to the more established ale producers and stick to the market they know.
Good post Larry, I was looking at this but didn't buy it.
Has anyone tried the Pilsner from lidl,I think it's 90p a bottle and tastes remarkably like a beer from the Williams Bros,I just don't have the money to spend £2 quid a bottle to find out which one.

Guinness Golden Ale, I really would have expected better from Guinness but then again ale is not really their forte. No head, no lacing on the glass, it does have a hoppy burnt barley taste but it did lack depth of flavour and it was not to my taste, there is very little carbonation, hence no head. All in all very disappointing and I certainly wont be buying another one. I think they should leave the ales to the more established ale producers and stick to the market they know.

Part of the Guinness "Panic!!!" range they're bringing out to keep up with the craft scene as it gathers momentum. It was founded in 1759, but "Guinness time" was around 1999.

Dave

Apologies but this post really does not fit the criteria of the thread name. I came across this in the supermarket today and having been a Guinness drinker for 35 years I just couldn't resist it. Guinness Golden Ale, I really would have expected better from Guinness but then again ale is not really their forte. No head, no lacing on the glass, it does have a hoppy burnt barley taste but it did lack depth of flavour and it was not to my taste, there is very little carbonation, hence no head. All in all very disappointing and I certainly wont be buying another one. I've always liked the Guinness products, excluding of course the stout brewed under license in the Caribbean, 7.5% and the Nigerian, 9% (awful stuff) but I think this shows that they really should stick to stouts and porters as that's what they're good at, I think they should leave the ales to the more established ale producers and stick to the market they know.

Doesn't look very Golden, that looks like Pepsi :mrgreen:

Good post Larry, I was looking at this but didn't buy it.
Has anyone tried the Pilsner from lidl,I think it's 90p a bottle and tastes remarkably like a beer from the Williams Bros,I just don't have the money to spend £2 quid a bottle to find out which one.

PMS, I've had that from Lidl, not bad, certainly not bad for 90p. They also do some pilsner tins for 85p that's head and shoulders above the likes of Carlberg, Carling etc (but being a HB beer snob these days I'm convinced puddle water is head and shoulders above that lot).

Back