£9 a pint

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap beer....out yesterday in Wrexham cheapest round for 6 pints was £12.60. That consisted of one lager one cider and four half and half mild and stout. Not major brands but nonetheless decent beer at that price. Dearest was £2.60 for Guinness. We did keep to the drinking dens though..proper boozers with idiots to match...all good fun and a great day out! I feel dreadful now. ..

Cheers

Clint

I love my beers but not at 9 quid a pint! Although I have been known to spend a small fortune in the bottle shop in York!

Cheers
Jay :)

Sounds fair. Big hoppy beer like that would have triple the malt bill, triple the quantity of expensive hops, of a standard pint. Being above the 7.5% abv threshhold it would also be liable for triple the duty of a 4.5% pint. So what would be a reasonable price for a pint of 4.5% abv moderately hopped beer? �£3? Triple that.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I agree. I recently had a half pint of a barley wine that was £3.60 and this was at a festival so I am guessing would be cheaper than pub prices. I also recently paid about £6 for a 500ml bottle of Jaipur X. My local beer shop also sells Rochefort 10 which I think was about £5 for a 330ml bottle.

Agreed. But it still doesn't justify bars selling same for £9 a pint.
As the OP started though, this was at Moor Beer Co. Which is a brewery tap, selling their own beer, so one would assume they have priced according to cost of production and taxation.

Secondly, I'd wager that it wasn't available to purchase in a pint measure, so scaling up the cost is a little irrelevent. How much is a pint of 9% Riesling in a pub?

Alcohol is sold in appropriate sized measures for its strength, be it, beer, cider, wine or spirit.

...I can see small scale affecting cost as well as purchasing power. I went to around 8 pubs yesterday (hic) I drank craft style where available or stout or Guinness, one was Witherspoon the others free houses and a couple of brewery owned. All beers were 4.6% to 5.5%...cheapest £1.90,dearest £2.60..there was even a beer at 7.4% for £2.25! Which I didn't try! So I think there's a few pointers here regarding pricing....ultimately you can only charge what people are willing to pay and if you want to charge silly prices then you have to have the idiots to go with them...figuratively speaking of course. I could have stayed in one pub and got hammered on around £12 instead of the £28 the day cost!

Cheers

Clint

As the OP started though, this was at Moor Beer Co. Which is a brewery tap, selling their own beer, so one would assume they have priced according to cost of production and taxation.
Er, I don't think so!
At an eye-watering £9 per pint it's surely sold in accordance with what they think they can get away with, under the banner of 'craft beer'. Their overall costs and the tax on the beer will fall well short of that. How come other craft beer breweries can sell their product for less and stay in business and better still become successful?

The area makes a lot of difference in the storage/labor/pub rent-mortgage/tax. So you need to pay everything and still make a good living out of it.

If you can succesfully sell it for £9 you are doing something good. If 9 out of 10 walk out but you can still make a decent living out of it, you're still doing it right. If that meant you have a 2% margin and sell extremely high quality beer and lots of it.. or selling **** with a 99% margin to posh people and hipsters is irrelevant.

It's all about the clientele, local demand and offer.

Er, I don't think so!
At an eye-watering £9 per pint it's surely sold in accordance with what they think they can get away with, under the banner of 'craft beer'. Their overall costs and the tax on the beer will fall well short of that. How come other craft beer breweries can sell their product for less and stay in business and better still become successful?
You may want to check Moor Beer Co. out, I don't think they operate under any 'craft beer' banner. CAMRA and SIBA get a mention on their website though.

There is a perception that beer should be cheap, brought about by decades of large corporate breweries lowering beer quality, abv and flavour. They now use low price to deter people from straying from brand and broadening their horizons. Ever wondered why Carling are happy for their product to be sold at a loss in supermarkets?

You may want to check Moor Beer Co. out, I don't think they operate under any 'craft beer' banner. CAMRA and SIBA get a mention on their website though.

In that case I'll just amend my first sentence to
'At an eye-watering £9 per pint it's surely sold in accordance with what they think they can get away with.'
That said if their business model is structured so that they can get away with charging £9 a pint equivalent and folks still come through the door, good luck to them.

Back