0.1 oz of 14.5% AA for bittering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yushinoka

Reaction score
Hi,

Being English I don't usually operate in oz. I am brewing a light (ish) but hoppy AG American Pale Ale. I am using Citra at AA 14.5% for the bittering and am aiming for approx 25/30 IBU

Hopville thinks 0.1 oz for 60 mins plus a few flavor additions at 15 mins will get this. Excuse my ignorance but 0.1 seems like a small amount for this?

I am brewing with Citra as mentioned and Galaxy (another high AA) so would the calculator go a bit haywire with the 15 minute additions? Is there realistically much of a bittering effect at 15 mins from these high AA hops?

If you can help, Thanks!

The late additions could do it for your buttering! You didn't specify amounts! But, the 0.1oz seems pretty negligible.

Did you rub butter underneath your turkey skin on Christmas day? That WILL make a big difference!

NickW said:
The late additions could do it for your buttering! You didn't specify amounts! But, the 0.1oz seems pretty negligible.

Did you rub butter underneath your turkey skin on Christmas day? That WILL make a big difference!

well i thought it seemed low. the 15 min additions are citra 0.3 oz and galaxy 0.3 oz (at 14.5 and 12.5 respectively)

anyway i dont want to over bitter it, the MARGARINE for error is too high....

yushinoka said:
Being English I don't usually operate in oz.

Might you have also confused litres and gallons, entered a small batch size like 5L rather than 5gal? That way 0.1 oz wouldn't be such a small amount.... maybe.....

Back