1st rose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_kent

Reaction score
Right I just been to the supplier and got my first wine kit, it's a beaverdale Chablis blush and a little bottle of sweetener just in case she don't like it. It's only a 1 gal kit so we will see how this goes! Oh I see a 5 gal vodka kit in there argggggggggggg

If you like Rose wine you should try making one from Supermarket juice. Same rules as Wurzels Orange (just Google it if you don't know what that is) only use Red grape juice plus one other red juice, (I used Ocean Spray Cranberry and Blackberry) I was blown away by how good it was. Easily as good as any £4 to £5 bottle and a beautiful Rose colour.
At less than 50p per bottle you can't go wrong either. :thumb:

To make 5L in a Tesco's 5L mineral water bottle

1.5L Pressed Red grape juice
1L Other red juice (Cranberry and Blackberry)
700g - 800g sugar (1.5lb)
1 tsp nutrient
1/2 tsp tannin (or cup of strong tea)
1 tsp pectolase (pectic enzyme)
1 tsp glycerine (cough bottle from Boots)
1 tsp yeast (I used a satchet of Bourdeau Yeast)

Boil a litre or so of water and add sugar
Pour syrup into plastic bottle and allow to cool
Add other ingredients but be sure temp is below 40C before adding yeast and nutrient.
For an air lock drill 8mm hole in lid and push in bubbler
Shake well
After four or five days the fermenting should have calmed down and you can top up to near the top with cool water.
Let it ferment out until the fizzing stops (probably two weeks or so in total)
Rack it into another bottle with a crushed campton tablet and 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate
Shake well 3 or 4 times over a couple of days to get rid of carbon dioxide gas
Add finings and leave for a few days to clear (with water bottles you will get sediment in the wrinkles of the bottle. shake gently to disturb it and leave another day or two.
Sweeten to taste with grape juice or sugar
Bottle and drink :cheers:

All chemicals and bubblers are available from local homebrew shops or online.
This is lovely straight away but if you can leave it for a few months it gets even better.

Haha that simple :-) I assume I can do this in a glass fermentation bottle? Sounds dead easy I think this is gunna be my next batch

Most people use a glass demijohn for these brews. You probably don't need the extra 1/2 litre of grape juice though and you will need a spare jar for racking.

tom_kent said:
I am rely excited about trying this I will prob give it a bash this weekend :rofl:

It is really easy. You just need 1 litre of red or white grape juice for the base and another litre of whatever takes you fancy. Just don't pick juice with preservatives in.

There's a recipe for Fruit Tea bag wine from Moley here in the Recipe section, same juice thing with added fruity flavour.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2291

Goes straight into a Dj topped up to the shoulder only to start with.

It's all done and happly fermenting away (very happly 2in of foam) I went for tropicana red grape and Ocean spray cranberry :-)

It's all done and happly fermenting away (very happly 2in of foam) I went for tropicana red grape and Ocean spray cranberry :-)

Down to the last bottle of Rose so going to start another couple of gallons. I couldn't find Cranberry and blackberry so it will just be cranberry. Should still be good though. Might pick a few blackberries and add them, the blackberries are appearing in the bushes now.

Cheers
Alibro

Back