1st timers 1st mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulemerson

Reaction score
Hey there guys...got myself some new kit and bought a golden stag summer ale kit...I miss read the instructions and put the bag of priming sugar in at the start.:doh:..is this a bad one..is it bin time?...I put the hops. In today and took a hydrometer reading...I'm getting a reading of 1.30..the beer is quite clear already...do I put more priming sugar in when I'm bottling?

Good choice!
Not the end of the world, probably come out a little stronger as there isn't that much sugar there. The hop addition would concern me more, I hope you haven't put these in at the start of fermentation.

Hi Paul, not familiar with that kit, but adding extra sugar at the start will simply up the ABV content. 1.030 is still quite high, what was your starting reading?

Yes you will need to add priming sugar when you bottle, this is to make the beer fizzy.

Lots of advice on here, just shout out no matter how daft you might think the question!

Considering that priming sugar is usually less than 200g, You probably wont notice anything wrong, you'll just have to add some more at bottling time (generally about 1/2 teaspoon per 500ml bottle for an ale).

Hey again..thanks for the replies....I put the bag of priming sugar that came with the kit....I've been reading about this summer ale...few folk think it's too hoppy...I put the hops in a wee bag..I can remove very easily...this is day 5..what the best time to start bottling..do I wait till I get a reading of 1.009?

You need a stable reading over a few days, this confirms that fermentation has finished and you won't get any bottle bombs.

You've probably put the hops in a tad early at 5 days but not a disaster. Putting them in too early will make it less hoppy as fermentation will drive off the flavours.

If it's too hoppy after you've bottled it leave it to condition longer and the hop flavour will mellow out.

This was my second kit, I found it really nice

Hey... The instructions that came with the pack said to add the hops 5 days in..which smell amazing.check the beer this morning...it actually smells quite nice...my hydrometer reading is up 1.5...so in the intstructions its says once the reading is at 1.9.. Start to bottle..so you guys are say wait to get a reading of that for a few days before bottling?

Bit confused by your hydro readings? Surely your not down to 1009 in 3 days? I hope Matt is right about the hops as I find 5 days in the FV about right, anything over 7 is just grassy, nasty and overpowering. I find simplest way to dry hop is to wait until fermentation has finished then your in control not playing guessing games.

Sorry you have mis understood,..my readings today is 1.5....I was asking when to bottle it....the instructions say to wait till it goes to.1.9.i was asking if I wait till it stops moving to bottle it

Sorry I'm still confused! Hydro readings are normally four figures, somewhere around 1.050 ish to start and I think from memory Golden Stag is quoted to finish 1.008. So you can see my confusion, as your numbers are going up not down?

Sorry to all for my confusing hydrometer readings...I miss out zeros by accident...today as the instructions say I Have to keg/barrelling my beer....this has me confused ...am I meant to put my beer in another barrel then leave it for anther 14 days ..then bottle it from there ?????

So is your reading 1.005? or 1.015.

It is generally recommended to leave it for longer than the kit says (14 days), though that may be different, if you have dry hopped?

When the time comes you can either bottle, or add your beer to a pressure barrel. Which of those do you have?

This should show you how to read the hydrometer:

http://18000feet.mesb.co.uk/how/hydroreading.htm

I always leave my beer in the FV for 2 weeks, sometimes longer. You need steady readings for about 3 days, you don't want over-carbonated bottles. Unless you're kegging, which makes it less critical. But you will get less sediment in your bottles or keg if you are patient with primary fermentation.

Ok..my readings today are within that black line...also I'm still confused...I don't have a second barrel I was going to use bottles...wham I meant to be doing?

Ok..my readings today are within that black line...also I'm still confused...I don't have a second barrel I was going to use bottles...wham I meant to be doing?

If your reading is within the black lines it is between 1.006 and 1.010 so I expect its finished fermenting but you need to have the same reading for three days to make sure.

If your bottling you don't need a second barrel/FV/bottling bucket you can bottle stright from the primary FV

Back