3 lots of yeast - and nothing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filthymanc

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm getting a bit frustrated. I have 2 lots of ale currently on the go. Both started at the same time. One is on it's way with no problems. The other!!!! The other will not begin fermentation. I have now used 3 lots of yeast over the last week and a half. Nothing is happening. The temperature is good, sanitisation is good, the other kit right next to it is good.

The first yeast packet came with the kit. The second one was lying around and the third is brand new.

Is this unusual? What can I do?

Hi all,
I'm getting a bit frustrated. I have 2 lots of ale currently on the go. Both started at the same time. One is on it's way with no problems. The other!!!! The other will not begin fermentation. I have now used 3 lots of yeast over the last week and a half. Nothing is happening. The temperature is good, sanitisation is good, the other kit right next to it is good.

The first yeast packet came with the kit. The second one was lying around and the third is brand new.

Is this unusual? What can I do?
You haven't told us why do you believe it's not fermenting.
Have you used your hydrometer on the brew that is allegedly dead?
What is your brewing temperature?

Yes, good point.
The airlock is totally inactive.

Are there any bubbles on the surface of the wort? I’ve always found airlocks to be pants. Did you take an original gravity reading? Bet way to see if anything is happening is to take a gravity reading and see if it is different to the original reading.

Are there any bubbles on the surface of the wort? I’ve always found airlocks to be pants. Did you take an original gravity reading? Bet way to see if anything is happening is to take a gravity reading and see if it is different to the original reading.

There are bubbles on the surface. I'll compare gravity readings tonight.
Thanks.

Don't rely on airlock activity. Did a black ipa last Saturday. Used a bin that's always shown loads of airlock activity. Tested it Thursday and it had dropped from 1054 to 1010.

Don't rely on airlock activity. Did a black ipa last Saturday. Used a bin that's always shown loads of airlock activity. Tested it Thursday and it had dropped from 1054 to 1010.

I am baffled how this can even happen.
Surely enough I tested the gravity today and it has been fermenting. From 1.050 to 1.014.
Never seen that before.
But hey it's working.

Your FV is probably not air tight any more. One of my buckets did the same after a single use, the lid seal lost integrity to the point that my last brew in it grew a nice white pellicle... Now relegated to duty as a cleaning bucket after a through cleaning itself.:thumb: Not all FVs are made equal....

Latest posts

Back