30 bottle wine kit query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gb0wers

Reaction score
When making single gallons it's normal to keep the demijohn topped up to the neck once the first few days of vigorous fermentation are over, including after racking.

What do people brew and rack 30 bottle kits in to please?

The 5 gallon fermenters have at least a gallon of airspace above the 5 gallon mark. I imagine during fermentation, that volume is filled with carbon dioxide, but once it is racked, air is going to be in that space so oxidation will take place.

Thanks
Graham

are you doing it to bulk age or just secondary ferment?

if its just for secondary then the time its got the space for is not that much of a problem.

I will not bulk age in the 5 gallon fermenter, I'll rack it in to gallon demijohns.

The question arises because I've been wondering if the quality of the wine may be improved by extending the time it takes to make it. It seems the kit instructions want to turn out a product ready to bottle in the absolute minimum time. Extending the time to bottling for example allowing it to clear naturally without finings, and allowing it to de-gass naturally.

Graham

I will not bulk age in the 5 gallon fermenter, I'll rack it in to gallon demijohns.

Me too. Tends to work out OK. Plus it gives anything that might be left over after the fining process chance to settle so the end product will be even clearer.

Thanks guys, looks like my choices are:

1) Forget the idea.
2) Find some true 5G FV's.
3) Top up to 6G with wine of the same type from a previous batch.

In the short term I'm going to go with 1) and also try an experiment with two 1 Gallon Beaverdale kits, one as per instructions and one extended and then leave 6 months to see if there is a significant difference.

Graham

Back