30l electric boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1892

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am considering this boiler to heat my sparge water. I was wondering if anyone can advise whether it would be possible to fit a tap to this which would take a syphon tube?

And does anyone know from experience how reliable this model is at maintaining specific temperatures?

Perhaps there is a more suitable thing on the market?

Many thanks in advance for you advice.

Michael.

What boiler are you on about?

Most boilers should be capable of being used as a HLT. It depends on whether you want to control temp manually or rely on thermo control to do it for you.

What boiler are you on about?

Most boilers should be capable of being used as a HLT. It depends on whether you want to control temp manually or rely on thermo control to do it for you.

Oops - this one. must have forgotten to paste to original post.

Burco Cygnet Commercial 30L Catering Hot Water Boiler Tea Urn - Stainless Steel

You should be able to fit a tap to it no problem, but you might have to do a bit of fettling. As for maintaining specific temperatures, no idea I'm afraid. However, if you're going to use it as your HLT maintaining temperature doesn't matter - you get your water up to mash temp, mash on. When you need to sparge get your water up to strike temp, sparge. You don't need to hold any water at a constant temperature.

Last edited:
I was sure I'd replied to this :-(

I've got one and it's great. The numbers on the heating control are just about dead on for mash, sparge and boil temps.

You can get a proper tap and hop strainer that fits perfectly on line from the home brew shop, and probably other places too. Just unscrew the tap and stick the ball valve in its place.

A bit of an agressive boil which I'm going to try and sort by fitting a hot plate control to it.

i bought it for general use but on my first all grain didnt use it. the problems i had getting the water upto the boil via a normal 32l stockpot will make me use the water from he boiler next time.

I was sure I'd replied to this :-(

I've got one and it's great. The numbers on the heating control are just about dead on for mash, sparge and boil temps.

You can get a proper tap and hop strainer that fits perfectly on line from the home brew shop, and probably other places too. Just unscrew the tap and stick the ball valve in its place.

A bit of an agressive boil which I'm going to try and sort by fitting a hot plate control to it.

I didnt quite go through with the purchase at the time and am thinking about getting this bit of equipment now. One further question if I may - does it have a timer switch so you can start the water heating automatically? I am keen to have the water heating up ready for first thing in the morning on brew day!

Cheers,
Mike.

I also have this boiler, great buy! No issues with rolling boils...

It doesn't have a clock/timer but if that's what you need, just pick one up from Argos or CPC online for a few pounds.

It does have a thermostat and on mines, the settings are:

3 = 65'
4 = 81'
5 = 94.5'
5.5 = 100'
Max = rolling boil, no cut outs.

There's a lot of info on modding it, if you want a new tap etc. but I'm fine with the standard tap. Well, so far anyway...

Edit: It heats the water up to mash temps in about ~45 mins.

I also have this boiler, great buy! No issues with rolling boils...

It doesn't have a clock/timer but if that's what you need, just pick one up from Argos or CPC online for a few pounds.

It does have a thermostat and on mines, the settings are:

3 = 65'
4 = 81'
5 = 94.5'
5.5 = 100'
Max = rolling boil, no cut outs.

There's a lot of info on modding it, if you want a new tap etc. but I'm fine with the standard tap. Well, so far anyway...

Edit: It heats the water up to mash temps in about ~45 mins.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds a good boiler. Re. the timer, are you able to show me a link to something which would work? I want to be able to set the boiler to come on before i get up so the water is ready to mash first thing in the morning.

Thanks, M

I also have this boiler, I did have it cut out last time while I was adding a kit to a mini mash I was doing, I was able to work the boiler to the edge of the bench top while my partner pressed the reset button, I continued a rolling boil at the 5.5 setting, when I transferred to the FV and began the clean up I realised that adding the wort to the boil caused it to get too thick & hot near the base/thermostat (causing the cutout), lesson learned, seeing I was only using up the kits I had left I can't see this happening again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on this boiler?

Igenix IG4030 Catering Urn 2,500 W - 30 L, Stainless Steel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004VKYEHU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The burco one is costing a lot in postage and i am wondering whether this might be a better bet in any case?

cheers,
Mike

The Burco is way cheaper at ~��£75 inc. delivery from Amazon (Ideal Lighting). That's where I got mine few months ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004EAERSS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Edit: Oops! Not as cheap though as @Smileyr8 link above... :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks both. The plumb nation place doesnt deliver to orkney for free unfortunately, and the one from ideal lighting was actually the one i ordered. it was meant to be free delivery but they advised of a further £26 charge to send to orkney. this brought me to the igenix boiler, as although it is a little dearer, overall it would work out cheaper due to the postage charge, and as far as i can see, it would deliver to orkney for free. i wondered if anyone had experience of this boiler and if it is worth buying? key thing for me is temperature control.

cheers, M

temperature control a little hit and miss or the thermometer i was using was rubbish. burco 32l

Can I ask what I am sure is a really stupid question?

Once mash water up to temp do you use a different vessel for the mash itself?

I am assuming you would actually use the boiler for the main boil itself left on a rolling boil?

Back