8 days to Brew?!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying_Fox

Reaction score
Ok so I know people aren’t keen on Kits but we all have to start somewhere.....

Picked up a Brewmaker Lager Kit. Read the instructions and it reckons it will be done in 8 day’s. I’ve done a few kits and this seems a little too fast?!?

What do you guys say?

Any beer, kit, extract or all grain will benefit from a little extra time. The ususal reccomendation is 2+2+2, 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonating at warm temps and 2 weeks conditioning at cool temps.

Commercial breweries can get away with about half this amount of time, but I woouldn't risk anything less than 3 weeks total.

Oh and kit instructions are lies intended to help sell their products.

If the 8 days refer to the time in the FV using an ale yeast that might be achievable, but you are probably better allowing longer and perhaps brewing at the low end of the recommended range.
But if its from pitching to sampling I think you know the answer to that !

Any beer, kit, extract or all grain will benefit from a little extra time. The ususal reccomendation is 2+2+2, 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonating at warm temps and 2 weeks conditioning at cool temps.

Commercial breweries can get away with about half this amount of time, but I woouldn't risk anything less than 3 weeks total.

Oh and kit instructions are lies intended to help sell their products.

Yeah I thought it too good to be true. I need it ready for Wrestlemania (27 days) I can have it brewed and bottled by then?!?

You should manage to bottle and carbonate it , maturation will be short, but it should be drinkable. Lagers do benefit of longer and colder maturation - laggering.
Fermentation wise, just rely on hydrometer readings.

You should manage to bottle and carbonate it , maturation will be short, but it should be drinkable. Lagers do benefit of longer and colder maturation - laggering.
Fermentation wise, just rely on hydrometer readings.

As long as it’s drinkable lol. Kit required 1 kilo but was going to look to add max of 3. Want it to have a kick and to show off a bit lol

More sugar, can lead to longer fermentation. Taste can be affected as well. Other might add more information, as I have never added more than kit said.

You could have some beer ready within 27 days, but to need to be mindful of brewing a high ABV beer which will take longer to ferment and longer to condition..
So as far as demonstrating your brewing skills to others, in my view it would be better to hand out lower ABV beer which may be nearly ready, rather than thin dry tasting high ABV rocket fuel that really needs another month in the fridge to settle down.

Latest posts

Back