8g CO2 Injector problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewbrown007

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the board.

I have a barrel with a 2" cap, fitted with an injector that fits the 8g CO2 bulbs.
Everything seems to be in place but when I screw down the bulb, although it seems to pressurise the barrel, loads of the CO2 comes back up through the injector rather than go into the barrel - it certainly isn't an air-tight seal.

Do I have a faulty injector or am I possibly doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem?

I've tried shouting at it, yelling at the dog and going down the pub but none of these have worked so I'm all out of ideas.

Firstly, don't overtighten the barrel top. It should only be hand tight and any more can damage the seal.
Secondly, CO2 sparklets aren't exactly the same size so the cradle can sometimes not hold them in fully: I have this problem on my barrel when using nitrogen sparklets and have to jam a couple of pieces of card between the top of the sparket and the cradle to ensure that it is firmly pressed down when the seal breaks.

Does your valve have a wide rubber band round the bottom ? If it has the gas could be coming from there, it's a safety valve so if the pressure gets to high it releases through the rubber.

:cheers:

Thanks both.

I'll try the cardboard trick, as the CO2 is escaping up through the gap between the bulb and the black plastic bulb holder.
The seal around the cap seems fine as the pressure in the barrel seems to stay where it's supposed to.

I had a lot of gas escaping when I use my co2 bulbs, but there is enough going in to do what's needed. Well that's my experience anyway

I have two kegs and one is like this, every time I try and inject co2 I get more backfire than go in and makes me jump every time. With the second it goes straight in with a satisfying hiss...

On closer inspection the dodgy one isn't as good a fit on the end of the co2 cylinder, the rubber seal isn't working at all. When this one is done i'm taking into my local brew shop and getting a replacement, I suspect yours is the same.

How full is the barrel? I get this if there is only a small air gap - because there isn't much space to fill the pressure builds quickly and the rest leaks out. You'll find that as the barrel empties you'll get a whole bulb in.

I've also had some problems with the bulb not slipping past the small black O ring on the inside of the cap. A little moisture on the narrow end of the bulb will fix that.

Latest posts

Back