A daft question?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
Probably is but why do some brews take weeks on end to come good, when others are perfectly drinkable after less than two weeks? I have a pale ale that I kegged on July 17th and it is still green AF. However, I kegged a NEIPA yesterday, that I only brewed 7 days previous, and it is very drinkable. There is a slight greenness to it but nothing compared to the pale ale. Other than a smoked imp stout that I brewed a few months ago, this pale ale is taking the longest to come good out of any beer I have ever made.

The pale ale was my first bash at fermenting under pressure. Does that have anything to do with it? It is taking so long, I am beginning to wonder if I have messed something up.

Can't help you there except to say that it's not a random event since those beers which take a long time to condition repeatedly take ages to condition with successive brews made with the same yeast. It tends to take longer with stronger brews, I find.

Can't help you there except to say that it's not a random event since those beers which take a long time to condition repeatedly take ages to condition with successive brews made with the same yeast. It tends to take longer with stronger brews, I find.
Can't say I have ever done that. I have always used fresh yeast. Although I am planning to harvest and reuse yeast now that I have a Snubnose, so I will keep an eye out for that. Cheers!

Can't say I have ever done that. I have always used fresh yeast. Although I am planning to harvest and reuse yeast now that I have a Snubnose, so I will keep an eye out for that. Cheers!
That's not white I meant. I meant repeated brews with fresh batches of the same kind of yeast.

Right, can't say that is the case with me. I bought a 500g yeast brick of S-04 and used it solely for almost 2 years. Not sure if this particular issue ever cropped up but if it did, it was a rare occurrence. I now have a 500g yeast brick of US-05 that I am working my way through. This pale ale is definitely the first time it has happened with this yeast batch.

What is puzzling me is that I will do two fairly similar brews and one of them takes a considerable time longer to come good.

Latest posts

Back