a**e HLT Woes

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

PeterB

Reaction score
I have a plastic HLT

Rather I HAD a plastic HLT. The element was no longer submerged, I was happy in a sparging world of my own and the element became a bit hot and melted the plastic HLT.

I have another, identical plastic bin I could use but am wondering if I should go stainless steel. I only do 23l batches so don't need a massive HLT.

I had that HLT over 12 years.

Rodcx500z

Landlord.
Reaction score

PeterB

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate that.

I am interested in how accurate that Klarstein is. Mine varies by 3 deg.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
"Another, identical plastic bin", well I'd go for that and spare yourself a snap decision that you might regret later. You can then take a leisurely view of how you might upgrade.

Rodcx500z

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Pete when I mashed I set it at 72c when it knocked off it was 71 on my thermometer during the 60 minutes I had to turn the element on once for a couple of minutes, on full whack it gets a proper boil on I knocked it down to 1600w it will also go down to 900w, I set the timer for 60 minutes on 60 mins it pinged, I made beer not as much as I wanted but that was down to me, so yeah I,m happy with it

PeterB

Reaction score
I probably will just use what I have, even if it ends up as just a backup - but no harm in looking around!

PeterB

Reaction score
Hi Pete when I mashed I set it at 72c when it knocked off it was 71 on my thermometer during the 60 minutes I had to turn the element on once for a couple of minutes, on full whack it gets a proper boil on I knocked it down to 1600w it will also go down to 900w, I set the timer for 60 minutes on 60 mins it pinged, I made beer not as much as I wanted but that was down to me, so yeah I,m happy with it
Thanks - that's useful.

Ghillie

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A used 20L Buffalo boiler would be enough for 23L sparging and also a good bit for clean-up as well.

I managed to score a new one for £65.