A good Gluten free beer kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynesideblonde

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie to homebrewing but have limited time at home. Going to set myself away with a few batches for trialing etc but was hoping to do a Gluten free beer for a friend so we can knock back a few come Christmas :cheers:. He's been diagnosed as Gluten intolerant and used to love a few beers but his hangovers where brutal obviously..... now he's rubbish at drinking as it has to be Gin as most gluten-free taste like his words "pish". His Gin drinking usually ends up - I love you man/ Hey watch me dance moves / who you calling a Gin drinking pussy. I would not like to repeat these embrassing episodes

So hoping for a few suggestions on a reasonable kit or one that someone has tried I can start next month. Just for extra info he used to like Pale/Amber Ales. Thanks for any help.

No idea about kits but my partner is celiac and I have used clarity ferm which goes into the fermenter and massively reduces the gluten. It's an enzyme that breaks it down. Some online home brew retailers sell it, the Home Brew company and the Malt Miller do. It's produced by White Labs.

Hi Clibit,

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a read about the clarity ferm but I was really after a proven gluten free receipe. I'll have a look at the Home Brew company though. I don't want to be blamed for him getting ill i.e. I don't want to give him any excuse to blame the hangover on. Thanks again appreciate the advice, cheers

Hi Clibit,

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a read about the clarity ferm but I was really after a proven gluten free receipe. I'll have a look at the Home Brew company though. I don't want to be blamed for him getting ill i.e. I don't want to give him any excuse to blame the hangover on. Thanks again appreciate the advice, cheers

No problem, I fully understand. My advice would be to try it - you can drink the beer yourself if it doesn't work. If it does, you can then make any beer you like with it, you are not restricted to the tiny number of GF kits.

Clarity Ferm does remove the vast majority of the gluten, and is being used by commercial brewers now. By all means make a beer from non-gluten proiducts, there are kits, as Manse has posted, but I've not used them, the Clarity Ferm has worked for my partner. Maybe read this article about a test on clarity ferm which showed that little gluten remained in the finished beer...

http://beerandwinejournal.com/clarity-ferm-i/

And this is Stone Brewing's gluten reduced IPA...

http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/stone-delicious-ipa/

No problem, I fully understand. My advice would be to try it - you can drink the beer yourself if it doesn't work. If it does, you can then make any beer you like with it, you are not restricted to the tiny number of GF kits.

Clarity Ferm does remove the vast majority of the gluten, and is being used by commercial brewers now. By all means make a beer from non-gluten proiducts, there are kits, as Manse has posted, but I've not used them, the Clarity Ferm has worked for my partner. Maybe read this article about a test on clarity ferm which showed that little gluten remained in the finished beer...

http://beerandwinejournal.com/clarity-ferm-i/

And this is Stone Brewing's gluten reduced IPA...

http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/stone-delicious-ipa/
+1 for clarity ferm by the way.
Had no issues with an amber ale i recently brewed (my dad and brother are GF). Dad loves it, my brother was diagnosed too early to develop a taste for ale - but still had no problems

Another +1 for clarity ferm. It breaks down protein chains and hence destroys gluten -well it does if you use it as per instructions, you have to add it when you pitch the yeast. The good thing is that it has no effect on the taste whatsoever. I've read that when tested the beer has a gluten content half that permissible for labeling food gluten free. I made some gluten free stout a while back when we thought my daughter was gluten intolerant. It was ready to drink just when we found out it was actually lactose she was having problems with.:lol:
There are gluten free beer kits on the market but apparently they taste like s***.

Hi All,

Thanks for the links and input. Really interesting article about clarity ferm. Yeah I've tasted a few Gluten Free beers and no wonder my mate drinks Gin. After reading the very interesting link http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/cla...tivity-354908/

I'll defintely forward this to my friend. I think I'll defintely use the clarity ferm as it also has the benefit of making the beer clear when put in the fridge so that's a big plus. I'll let my mate decide on whether to drink the beer or not as it'll mean more beer for me if he decides not :grin: . I've seen him destroy bacon sarnies when he's had a few at the match so I'm a bit dubious whether the celiac intorlerance could be psychosomatic but I would never put him at risk on my account.

Once again thanks for all the positive responses. I'm really enjoying the feedback and information, it really is appreciated. I can't wait to start my first brew - 10 days and counting. I'll let everyone know how I get on with the clarity ferm and whether I've killed my mate or not :whistle:....Cheers again, thanks for the support

Back