a little advice for a newbie please :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wipeout

Reaction score
hi i have brewed beers and ales before but years ago untill my keg burst and drown my kitchen so i gave it up. but recently i have been given 2 kegs (used but in good condition) the problem i have they are not the kind of kegs i am used to they dont have co2 injectors valves on them but some rubber. i think its a pressure relief valve. my main question is what can i brew in these? and does anyone have any idea what a good kit to get would be for someone just trying to get back into brewing. thanks !

Any chance of a picture of the kegs w so we can get a better idea?
and does anyone have any idea what a good kit to get would be for someone just trying to get back into brewing. thanks !
You won't go far wrong with any of the 3kg 2 can kits, Brupaks are good as are Woodfordes :thumb:

I think you're right w, looks like a prv to me. I've never used plastic barrels and I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to give you better info than me. I would imagine the prv's will be fine for ales requiring low pressures, probably not great for lagers though. You can buy lids with injector caps fitted or maybe even replace the prv's with the injector ports, as I say someone else will know better :thumb:

thanks :D im not wanting to do lagers ales is the way forward :D (it was larger that blew my last barrell my first and last brew haha)

What you need is a new cap like this:

images

They can be got in most HB shops and cost about £10, or you can get just the valve for not much less (£8).

There are two ways of gettinng CO2 into your barrel, sparklets bulbs, or an S30 cylinder, they require different screw caps. You'll get a sparklets cap from Wilkinson or Tesco with bulbs, there are 2" S30 caps for sale on eBay.

The sparklets are easy to get hold of and cheap to setup with, while gettingthe S30 cylinders refilled needs a good home brew shop, or you have to get them refilled by post, the S30 cylinders are supposed to be cheaperr in the long run.

Make sure you add some priming sugar to the barrel when you syphon off the beer into it, this will help secondary fermentation and put some pressure into your barrel.

The bit in the centre of the current cap will vent pressure if it gets too high in your barrel, the S30 caps also have a pressure reliefe system in them, I think the sparklet valves has as well, so less risk of any of your barrels exploding now :)

Cheers, yeah my old. Barrell had a vent cap on it as well but failed lol

Latest posts

Back