A new Brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldtimer

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I am new to the world of home brew, so I don't know what I doing.

My aim is to brew a good pint to enjoy on a quite summer evening whilst letting the world and it's troubles go by.
I can't do much else, being a pensioner money does not allow for greater things in life. But I am happy and good health so now all I need is a good pint of real ale and I could set the world on fire.
I have started, I have a 'Woodfords Wherry ' just coming up to complete first ferment.
My aim, once I get the confidence and knowhow, is to brew from the hops etc, maybe concoct my own brand of beer.
I live in a holiday area and it's just comming up to the start of the idiot season and as I live on the Norfolk Broads I can see all the ' Captain Birdseye ' chugging up the broads in their silly hats (at 4 mph) shouting 'Ahoy and Avast etc',
But nothing beats a good pint.
I am sure of the next few months I am gonna need a lot of help and advice, so no doubt I will asking some dumb questions of you all.
I am a member of another forum on here and they have been very helpful so far but you can never diddle too many fingers can you.
I will enjoy learning from you all. LEARNING being the operative word.
Cheers lads & lassies I know I will be in touch. :cheers:

Hi Oldtimer my dad started brewing kits when he retired, to stretch his pension a bit further, and continued for over 20 years untill he passed away. I know his only regret was he didn`t start sooner.

oldtimer said:
I live in a holiday area and it's just coming up to the start of the idiot season and as I live on the Norfolk Broads I can see all the ' Captain Birdseye ' chugging up the broads in their silly hats (at 4 mph) shouting 'Ahoy and Avast etc',
But nothing beats a good pint.
Ah yes, we own a narrowboat and so are quite familiar with the tw@s in hats and the pirate fraternity, plus the occasional gin palace if we venture out onto the rivers.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Ask away, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask but should have.

Thanks guys

I am sure you will get fedup with me asking what might seem stupid questions, but ya gorra learn ain't ya.

Narrow boats are not so bad, it when the idiots are on a little four berth putt-putt and think they are sailing the Queen Mary, even more so when they come into the local shop and try to put on a Norfolk accent, they all think we still suck straw ( some of still do !!!!!! ).

This is really a nice place to live, if only it was for the idiots. The wife says that when we go on holiday, the locals think the same about us, maybe they do. But I do not try and take over the place with the attitude that they don't know about life.

Oh I must not get on to this subject or I will whitter on forever.
Back the the brewing.

I have no real questions yet but I do have a 'Woodfords Wherry' coming up to the syphon so I am sure there will be a question or three.

Cheers lads :cheers:

Welcome to the forum, oldtimer. There are a number of us old fogeys on here (I'm counting down to my bus pass myself and have been knocking the odd bottle out for 35 years) and a lot of young chaps too, all united in our joint passion - getting rat-arsed dirt cheap, er, I mean the love of brewing for purely aesthetic reasons. Yes, that's it.

I made a few Woodford's Wherry kits myself in days gone by and found them to be very good, although if truth be told I preferred Nelson's Revenge and Nog by the same company.

Latest posts

Back